3g...?

Euphoric306

Apr 5, 2004
i was just wondering what that meant.. is it a 3 gauge wire coming off of it?

how many amps does a 3g alternator put out, stock is 75 amps and i believe 2g? thanks

any factory cars with 3g alt or is it purely aftermarket?

• Sponsors (?)

oh alright, makes sense except that 79-93 is the third gen mustang lol.

but thats neither here nor there, as they say

anyway, unless they put out much more amperage, whats the big dealio of swappin one in?

Euphoric306 said:
oh alright, makes sense except that 79-93 is the third gen mustang lol.

but thats neither here nor there, as they say

anyway, unless they put out much more amperage, whats the big dealio of swappin one in?
An OEM 3G can put out 130 amps - about double what your stock alternator puts out. :nice:

That is why we do it. Very easy swap too. Good luck.

For a good amount of background and vehicle application info, see Mr M. Smith's webpage for the conversion.

Kevin, as you know, the wiring upgrade is really for the extra amperage of the 3G vs 2G. Otherwise there is only one stock wire which needs to be tapped into to make the 3G work.

But you make a very good point to upgrade the wiring if anything over stock amperage is used.

yea i was jk about the gens. kinda figured whatcha said

just a little clarification, if you dont have any aftermarket stereo or anything, then the 3g will only put out factory amperage (~65-75)? but then if you've got stereo and fog lights that work, etc. then it'll pull more and you'll need the wiring adapter? thanks people, late

Euphoric306 said:

just a little clarification, if you dont have any aftermarket stereo or anything, then the 3g will only put out factory amperage (~65-75)? but then if you've got stereo and fog lights that work, etc. then it'll pull more and you'll need the wiring adapter? thanks people, late
Simply stated, no. The 3G will put out more amperage at idle than a 2G (they tend to run at a percentage of capacity at idle, and since the capacity is double, the output at idle is greater [though not double]). That was not what you asked, but it led to my next thought. With my 2G, it would struggle to maintain 13.6-14.4 volts if I had anything turned on. So while I was not discharging, I was not charging the system or powering accessories as well as I could have been with the 3G. And I dont discharge at idle at all. The 2G output at 670 RPM was not all that great.

FWIW, my 160 amp alt puts out 75 amps at idle (more than the 2G did total). Cool!

I have very little extra elec stuff on the vert (no e-fan, etc) and the 3G was not necessary. But I do have to say that my headlights at night are much brighter than they were (the lows, highs and fogs run off relays, which helped in and of itself with the 2G). So the 3G does help even a stock application IMHO.

I would not run out and do the 3G if you dont need it. Just make sure to do it when your 2G goes south.

well my coolant level light is always on because sensor is broken, and it cycles bright/dim at night when a/c blower fan, headlights, foglights, sub amp, etc. are on. so i was thinkin about getting a 3g, esp. since i plan on getting a markVIII fan or similar, a mids/highs amp, etc.

Euphoric306 said:

I think I misread you earlier. I would do the wiring upgrade with the alternator upgrade, even if you dont anticipate using more than 65 amps of juice. You want to have the wiring up to par with the alt. It is easy to get the stock alt into a state of diminished charging or discharge, and in the same situation on a 3G, its performance will not diminish. That can lead to burned stock wiring or a fire. :eek:

I spent about 20-25 bucks on the wiring upgrade, and you could spend even less if you used cable and links from the parts store. And it is really moot with all the stuff you run on your car as it is. :nice:

ok this is what im tackling after i get my suspension project all wrapped up. 3g alt with the wiring upgrade... wish me luck lol. doesn't sound too hard, tapping one wire or something? anyway, ive got pretty good electrical experience and a sort of thing for mechanics lol.

anyway, thanks for the link n info hissin, i think if we had a stanger of the month youd be up for a nomination

Sounds like a good plan. There are many who would be up for Stanger of the month before me, but thanks for the kind thoughts. :nice:

I read about every alternator article out there, just in case someone thought of something that is not mainstream (I like unusual things) and I really think Jrichker's synopsis here hits the nail on the head. And MC's pics are cool for morons like me.

You really just tap into the stator wire on the big plug and that is about it. The rest is personal preference.

It is a very very easy install. Good luck!

Definately upgrade to the 4 gauge wire. People have tried to cheap out and use the stock fuseable link and have caught their cars on fire. It's cheap insurance to handle the increased amps. The stock fuseable link setup were barely up to par(and not even good electrical practice) for the stock alt.
Kevin

Sicarius428 said:
Definately upgrade to the 4 gauge wire. People have tried to cheap out and use the stock fuseable link and have caught their cars on fire. It's cheap insurance to handle the increased amps. The stock fuseable link setup were barely up to par(and not even good electrical practice) for the stock alt.
Kevin

I would definitely agree. I upgraded the wire for my 3g converison, I would say its a must. With increased output you dont want to use factory wires.