3rd Gear Lurching Problem

Airwolf

May 28, 2001
Santa Rosa, CA
I have an 88 LX 5.0 with quite a few after marked bolt ons. It has 130,000 miles on it and have been a great car for me. Never gave me any mechanical problems really to speak of (knock on wood). Well recently I decided to take it for a spin into the high RPMS in second and do a hard shift into third. To my dismay, the whole car lurched... bad. It kinda felt like the engine and transmission were trying to jump out of the car. I've never noticed this before as my races are usually over when I am in second. Hehe. First sometimes.

Anyway a really hard shift.. even a power shift... from first to second is solid as a rock. No problems. For some reason it's just when I go from 2nd to 3rd. I have new poly engine and transmission mounts too. Any ideas on what it could be? And why it would only affect 3rd gear? Strange... Any help at all would be much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Airwolf said:

That's very strange.
Seems almost like a problem someone would have to experience to comment on :shrug:

Since the only thing that is changing in this equation is which up-shift it does it in, that would lead me to believe you have an internal issue with your tranny.

If it was a mount or something else it would do it on the 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th shifts also.

Does the engine do anything funny or what ?

Thanks for the response. No. The engine sounds really strong the whole way through the shift. Of course it seems like it stutters when that horrible shift happends. Kinda like when you are learning to drive and you are starting in first and let the clutch out too quick with not enough gas. It lurches then gets going. Throws you forward than back then goes.

I know it's strange as hell. The engine has always been strong as hell through all the RPM ranges. I have had it to red line probably a bit too much and it's always been smooth and strong. I doubt its anything with the engine. Thanks for the help so far... weird ain't it?

OT: Yes, Airwolf was a good show and is still paying off as you just got two free posts from it :D

If it's only doing it in 2nd to 3rd upshift I would say it's internal tranny.
If it was clutch chatter from a oiled flywheel and such it should be doing it on the shift to 4th also.

I think it's tranny, I'd have to drive it and pound on it to be sure though ...
:scratch: Hey, where do you live :D j/k

Good luck.

Lol yeah I named my mustang "Airwolf" from that show. I just thought if I named my mustang airwolf also, maybe it could do mach 1, just like the helicopter Airwolf could. You are the first person to figure out where I got the name for my mustang at. Nice job dude!

Yeah I kinda think I agree with you TrunkFunk. Thanks for the thoughts on the subject. I am gonna beat on it a bit more to make sure I wasn't imagining it (i still have hope that i was!). And as far as you beating on it, I don't think so.. although.. wait a minute.. maybe we could work out a deal... what's your car like? :-D