Fox 4.10 Gear From 3.27 Experience Pro/con

theYman

Jun 5, 2013
I have a stock 93 GT convertible with a 3.27 gear. It has an AOD.
I bought a 4.10 gear but now am having second thoughts about doing the swap.
The car has great highway manners as it is.
Who has done the swap and loved it/hated it.
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I have 245/60/16 on the rear.
Regardless. Still a 26" tall tire.
For a street car w/ no/minor mods,..I'd say 3.55-3.73. The fact that you already have 3.27's will make stepping up to a 3.55 a hard pill to swallow, for possibly a minor gain in acceleration at best. A 3.73 in my last car w/ a 28" tall tire ( I had 275 60 17") netted a 2200 RPM 5th gear at 70. Since your trans has a lower OD gear than a manual,..and given that you have a 2" shorter tire than I had,...I'm saying 3.73's will be about 2500 RPM at 70 for you.

I went from 2.73 to 3.73 and now I'm wanting a 3.27. Mines a t5 but 1st gear runs out w out any speed behind it and when crusing in 5th it wont ever settle down and cruise. It wears me out on long rides, however I can go around the town square in 4th gear....

I'll assume since you made no mention of it, your car is basically stock....in which case I probably wouldn't consider anything lower than a 3.73 ratio. Remember, your engine isn't making any more power, any higher in the power band, so you'll be through it before you know it. Zipping through the power band in a hurry sounds like a positive thing, until you realize you're also zipping through your torque curve. You aren't allowing the lower RPM torque that the 5.0L OHV is known for to do it's job and thus aren't going to experience the seat of the pants feel we all so desire.

If you had better heads, cam, intake, etc and added 500-1000RPM to your power band, then you would fair better, but as it sits, I'd either consider going with a little less gear, or adding a better top end.

That being said, I wouldn't bother with the gears at all without paying an equal amount of attention to the stock AOD. In factory trim, that trans is a slow shifting "slushbox" at best. The addition of a good shift kit (TransGo, B&M, etc) and heavy duty plate style transmission cooler installed at the same time the gears are should be mandatory. And if funds allow, a little looser converter will liven the car up from a dig as well.

Better start saving. :)

Reactions: 1 users