4.10 install

94gt5.o

Dec 27, 2009
ferndale WA
ok so this weekend im going to install my FRPP 4.10 gears. Ive done alot of reading, now i get most of it the only thing im worried about is the pinion depth:( It kind of scares me lol cuz i really dont want to screw it up also the preload is a lil confusing. I could really use some info if anybody has some special tricks please do tell

• Sponsors (?)

Buy an extra Pinion bearing and grind out the inside of it so that it slips on and off of the pinion freely so that you can measure the shims a couple of times...DON'T PUT THE CRUSH SLEEVE ON UNTIL YOU HAVE ALREADY GOT THE WHOLE REAR END DEAD ON IN MEASUREMENTS. Make sure you have a couple of them already. Make sure your stang is as high in the air as it can be because you're going to need a ton of torque to crush that sleeve. I used in excess of 300lb ft of torque to crush it...Also, you're going to need a fairly low torque 3/8's torque wrench with adapters to I think a 23mm socket so that you can check the preload. Preload is how much torque it takes to spin the pinion, not the torque of the nut.

Great info thank you so much i did alot of calling around today and i found a place that would do that whole set up for 250 bucks if i pull the rear end and just give that to them. Is this a pretty good deal:shrug: Also the shop is pretty well known for good service.

Ya, that's a pretty good price. I've seen as high as $600 in labor. Just realize what you will have to do to pull the axel. Brake lines must be disconnected (and bled upon re-installation), upper and lower control arms unbolted, plus whatever you would already be doing if you did the rear-end yourself. It's a good time to install accumulated parts.