4.10s are installed PLEASE READ!

DerekStangGT

My package is in the mail!
Feb 18, 2003
this thread is dedicated to all those who still have stock 3.27 gears ( :rlaugh: ) j/k
i just got my 4.10s installed and all i can say is :jaw: my first thought was holy crap, why didnt i do this earlier?? :bang: :bang: :bang: my gears were in since saturday, but today i thought they had enough miles to "break in" (140) so i stomped it today for the first time. WOW everyone who is on the edge about 4.10s or 3.73s, there is no question if u want performance. here are the downsides (which do not even compete with the perks of 4.10s)

1)i used almost half a tank on about 120 miles
2)70 mph=about 2.5k rpms
3)80 mph=about 2.9-3K rpms
4)i can notice a little drone w/ my stock exhaust, which im sure is worse w/ aftermarket pipes, but i just turn up the radio (subs) and its all gone :nice:

i notice im shifting A LOT more, which is great to me b/c i get to take advantage of my Tri-ax (which is also great, but i'll save that for another time)

@ about 10-15 mph i shift to 2nd
@ about 25 mph i shift to 3rd
@ about 40 mph i shift to 4th
@ about 50-55 i shift to 5th

THIS IS UNDER EASY STREET DRIVING, SHIFTING @ ABOUT 2.5K-3K RPMS

4.10 gears are a must-have for everyone!

• Sponsors (?)

I assume you're not talking about 100-120 highway miles on half tank!!! I know we don't buy Mustangs for gas mileage, but that would be deadly. I'm doing the great 3.73/4.10 debate now. I also have to do a little research on the 3.90s.

96ninjaman said:
I assume you're not talking about 100-120 highway miles on half tank!!! I know we don't buy Mustangs for gas mileage, but that would be deadly. I'm doing the great 3.73/4.10 debate now. I also have to do a little research on the 3.90s.
if you control your foot, it is not that bad. At first, your right foot will be heavier. Do what you want with 3.90s, I just about got them just to be different, I'm glad I went with 4.10s.
BTW, My wife drives the Mustang more during the week than I, and you couldn't pay her for the 4.10s. when she's happy, I'm happy. :nice:

DerekStangGT said:
2)70 mph=about 25.5k rpms
3)80 mph=about 29-30K rpms
4.10 gears are a must-have for everyone!

please allow me to correct myself on those rpms b4 i get flamed even more :rlaugh: (could u imagine how much power could be had from an engine running 29-30k rpms?? KABOOM!) what i meant is:
2)70 mph= about 2.5k rpms
3)80 mph= about 2.9-3k rpm

u must allow some people (me) to be stupider than others and forgive freely :D

StangYellow said:
You watch, there will still be 10 posts this week asking what gears they should buy. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the gears Derek :nice:

hahahah It's a weekly question!

Also, Derek, glad you like the gears. I went from 3.73's to 4.10's and even that swap was an unbelievable difference. Moreso than stock to 3.73s. I'll be getting a blower waaaay on down the road but for now, the eternity that was 2nd gear is long gone!

Yeah, when I do the gear swap from 3.27's I'm going with 4.10's or a slight possiblility would be 3.90's. The reason why SN is so great is that you can talk to people who have or have had a product that you are considering. I went to a speed shop we have here in town that does not specialize in just mustangs and when I told the guy that I was interested in 4.10's he said that at like 70mph in 5th youl be at 4200rpm, it just so happened that he only had 3.73 fms in stock. I guess what I'm saying is it's great that you can get honest advice from people here rather than having to listen to "sales advice". BTW they want 250 for the install if I provide all the parts, since that is the only place in town (besides dealer) that I have found so far to do gears I'll probably have them install them I guees. Ken

Congrats on the torque multiplication.

I plan on getting a Novi 2000 soon, so I am going to stick with 3.73s in the future. I have talked to several guys with the Steeda kit, and with 3.27 gears and stock rubber traction isn't plentiful.

-wjfawb0

ken97gt said:
I went to a speed shop we have here in town that does not specialize in just mustangs and when I told the guy that I was interested in 4.10's he said that at like 70mph in 5th youl be at 4200rpm, it just so happened that he only had 3.73 fms in stock.

4200 rpm at 70mph in 5th with 4.10s? That isn't right. :scratch:

-wjfawb0