4.10s are installed PLEASE READ!

• Sponsors (?)

ken97gt said:
I went to a speed shop we have here in town that does not specialize in just mustangs and when I told the guy that I was interested in 4.10's he said that at like 70mph in 5th youl be at 4200rpm, it just so happened that he only had 3.73 fms in stock. I guess what I'm saying is it's great that you can get honest advice from people here rather than having to listen to "sales advice".

HAHAH I had a tech at the local ford dealership laugh at me and call me a fool for putting 4.10's in my auto. turns out, I saw this same douche bag at the strip last night and showed him my 13 second slips and said that they were someone elses!!!! MORON! :mad:

blk4pt6 said:
are 4:10's too much if I am going to SUPERCHARGE my 02 GT?..HAs anyone done it, and what are the results, besides shifting every 3 seconds?

even though im not blown, i would have to agree w/ everyone else about NOT having 4.10s w/ a power adder. as it is im stock except for the gears, and w/ stock tires, im scared to have fun! fishtailing around turns used to be a daily thing, but then since the 4.10s are in, my fishtails are now too powerful and too unpredictable to control as well as i could before. i know i will get used to it, but for now im still takin it easy. so now, i would not advise anyone to combine 4.10s (or more) and a s/c. unless of course u want to enter a burnout contest :rlaugh:

yeah, the eternity that was 2nd gear may feel like its gone, but the reason it seems gone is because you are shifting into 3rd at 55 MPH instead of 70 MPH like you did with the stock 3.27's. Having to shift an extra time or two in the 1/4 mile eats up time. I run 13.9's in my stock 2003 GT, guys I know with 4.10's are running the same times as me and they have bolt on mods up the wazoo.

blk4pt6 said:
are 4:10's too much if I am going to SUPERCHARGE my 02 GT?..HAs anyone done it, and what are the results, besides shifting every 3 seconds?

That really depends on what you do most with your car. If you are mainly going to be driving this car around on the street, maybe a few light to light races on street rubber, you are probably just going to spin forever. It would really be kind of counterproductive. HOWEVER if you are a hardcore racer and drag is your game, you would absolutely want the 4:10's. You want to cross the traps a couple hundred rpm after your peak power, and in a blown application you'll be at the top of 4th gear (110-112mph) through the traps easy. This will net you your fastest times in the 1/4 (traction permitting). My friend has an 89 5.0 vert with an SQ-Trim on it, and 4:10's in the rear. He drives around on ET streets with no sway bar all the time and that car is FUN!!! Even with a SC I say don't fear the gear.

I am getting 4.10s, and I hope the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 will be good enough to keep my tires pretty well grounded because I don't want to spin forever..I will have to practice a lot with the new gears before I take it to the track so I don't lose time, just make it..need to work on shifting too, I missed a couple on 2-3 the other day..Just pushed it too far right..*sigh*...anyway..

BlackBeauty02, nice times at 5200ft or so..I know your pain, my track is at 4500ft.

BlackGT02' said:
My mustang is gettin 4.10's put on right this min.... cant wait tell this afternoon when i get it back...... how long do u think i should wait b4 i really get on it..?

I am jealous. the thundercar has an open rear with 3.27 :nonono: so i have to try for a supercoupe rear swap and then get the gear :nonono:

im goin with 4.10s in my auto GT this summer, the 4.10s are perfect for the autos since the auto trans have a lower o/d ratio, if i had the 5 speed i would be doin 3.73s, im excited to do them, how much was the install cost?

My 4.10's are getting installed this Saturday... man I cant wait. With the new gears I decided to get some new tires also, 275 Nitto 555's. Without traction you cant beat anyone. So how about that break in period? I know as soon as I leave the shop Ill want to floor it.

410's

DerekStangGT said:
this thread is dedicated to all those who still have stock 3.27 gears ( :rlaugh: ) j/k
i just got my 4.10s installed and all i can say is :jaw: my first thought was holy crap, why didnt i do this earlier?? :bang: :bang: :bang: my gears were in since saturday, but today i thought they had enough miles to "break in" (140) so i stomped it today for the first time. WOW everyone who is on the edge about 4.10s or 3.73s, there is no question if u want performance. here are the downsides (which do not even compete with the perks of 4.10s)

1)i used almost half a tank on about 120 miles
2)70 mph=about 25.5k rpms
3)80 mph=about 29-30K rpms
4)i can notice a little drone w/ my stock exhaust, which im sure is worse w/ aftermarket pipes, but i just turn up the radio (subs) and its all gone :nice:

i notice im shifting A LOT more, which is great to me b/c i get to take advantage of my Tri-ax (which is also great, but i'll save that for another time)

@ about 10-15 mph i shift to 2nd
@ about 25 mph i shift to 3rd
@ about 40 mph i shift to 4th
@ about 50-55 i shift to 5th

THIS IS UNDER EASY STREET DRIVING, SHIFTING @ ABOUT 2.5K-3K RPMS

4.10 gears are a must-have for everyone!

My friend has 410's in his '02 and I took it for a ride.I didn't like running out of steam at 110 MPH. I had to shift into 5th. I will stick with my 373's. At least with them I can get up to 125 MPH before shifting into 5th. Try taking on a 350Z or a Boxster on the Highway with 410's, you will lose. I pulled on both of these cars in my '03 with 373's., and mine is a vert.

TheSalad said:
I am getting 4.10s, and I hope the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 will be good enough to keep my tires pretty well grounded because I don't want to spin forever..I will have to practice a lot with the new gears before I take it to the track so I don't lose time, just make it..need to work on shifting too, I missed a couple on 2-3 the other day..Just pushed it too far right..*sigh*...anyway..

BlackBeauty02, nice times at 5200ft or so..I know your pain, my track is at 4500ft.

The Kumho 712's don't hold my 1st gear from a roll and I have the lowly 3.27's. I hope that helps. I have 250/292 SAE numbers. Launching is ten times worse than punching it from a roll. As soon as my tach hits 3500 rpms, the tires break loose. It sucks. I am going to try BFG KDW's this spring.

There is no break in period. The guy that installed my gears took the car for about 2 miles, slowly going thru all the gears . Then came back to the shop and said good to go..Your going to love the 3rd and 4th gear tire chirps from the 4:10s when you really get on it.. :D :D :D

cronin49 said:
My friend has 410's in his '02 and I took it for a ride.I didn't like running out of steam at 110 MPH. I had to shift into 5th. I will stick with my 373's. At least with them I can get up to 125 MPH before shifting into 5th. Try taking on a 350Z or a Boxster on the Highway with 410's, you will lose. I pulled on both of these cars in my '03 with 373's., and mine is a vert.

:bs:
With 4.10's 5th gear is no longer an overdrive gear.
5th gear now pulls you to your max speed like 4th did with the 3.27's
Therefore, 4.10 gears actually make your car's top speed higher.
I flat out SMOKE 350Z's all the time with my 4.10's and I'm not even a great driver.