4.10s are installed PLEASE READ!

• Sponsors (?)

cronin49 said:
yeah, the eternity that was 2nd gear may feel like its gone, but the reason it seems gone is because you are shifting into 3rd at 55 MPH instead of 70 MPH like you did with the stock 3.27's. Having to shift an extra time or two in the 1/4 mile eats up time. I run 13.9's in my stock 2003 GT, guys I know with 4.10's are running the same times as me and they have bolt on mods up the wazoo.

So whats a good argument against this besides :rolleyes: ? As long as I don't have to shift to 5th in the quarter I don't mind the extra gear, I'm not gonna run up passed 110 on the freeway very often (like never). Is 5th with 4.10's like 1:1 or is it under/over drive?

I think I officially want 4.10's :hail2:

4.10, blower and auto trans

jeffrey81 said:
i have 4.10s and a procharger and i love it. it has so much power through all the gears. i would drop down to 3.73 dont fear the gear!!!

I was just about to post in response to the above sugestion that 4.10s were too much to use with a blower. Is your stang an auto and does that make it any easier to use 4.10s with asupercharger?

I would like to upgreade my gears but planning on a supercharger when I get deployed next year and dont want to change gears a second time.

I got 4.10s and a blower but Im an auto and I wouldnt have it any other way. It gets me into my power band and boost much quicker. If you get a roots type blower 4.10s prolly wouldnt be a good idea. The centris dont make power until 3k+ so the 4.10s will get you to the upper RPMs way quicker.Ya I have traction problems, my Nitto 555Rs just aren't cutting it now with the added power but with a set of MT Radials or some BFGs traction will be way better.

From a 40 mph roll Ill blow my tries right off if im not careful. The cars a blast on the street and at the strip. My best right now is 12.86 @ 109 but I know I got 12.6s maybe 12.5s in it. I spin off the line with a good 10sec burnout and spin shifting into 2nd and 3rd sometimes and Im not talking about chirping, Im talking having no traction for 5-10 ft.

Ive beaten an auto C6 vette, 02-03 Z06, and a few C5s. I know I beat them because of the blower but I think the 4.10s helped with it since some of these wer from a slow roll.

what kind of tires? what size?

jeffrey81 said:
i have 4.10s and a procharger and i love it. it has so much power through all the gears. i would drop down to 3.73 dont fear the gear!!!

i assume bigger tires keep blowers from spinning tires as much?

Stang|ess said:
I'm gonna call a guy tomorrow about a quote for 4.10s :D.

is it hard to install a posi and new axles? I don't want to get 31 spline stuff just yet, but I'm dying for gears.

don't waste your money on 28 spline axles. I would do the gears and rebuild the current posi. then you can swap to a 31 spline carrier later. 28 spline axles are a waste of money.

svttech76 said:
don't waste your money on 28 spline axles. I would do the gears and rebuild the current posi. then you can swap to a 31 spline carrier later. 28 spline axles are a waste of money.

Of course, no doubt. But there's currently no drag strip here and I see no use in "wearing" the 31 spline posi and axles out with a few years of DD.

I'm thinking if I get 4.10s now, I wont have to relash them later when I get 31 spline stuff. So I can just pop the ring and pinion out, out in the new posi, axles, and slide the gears back in. Is that a posibility?

You guys actually pull out in 1st with your 4.10s?
When I'm on the street I'm using 2nd because it pulls out just as easy as it did when it was stock.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THE GEAR and won't ever change it out, but pulling out in 1st any time other than racing is asking for whiplash and kidney problems. :D

SInce I posted this question, I have changed cars. I now have an 02 GT vert and went with 373's. I had put in 4:10's in my old 02 hardtop, but found them a bit much with the MAc ProChamber and cat back , for daily driving on highway with noise. Just not my cup of tea.

FastRedPonyCar said:
HAHAH I had a tech at the local ford dealership laugh at me and call me a fool for putting 4.10's in my auto. turns out, I saw this same douche bag at the strip last night and showed him my 13 second slips and said that they were someone elses!!!! MORON! :mad:

I once had a guy say i couldnt go faster than 9.5 in the 1/8 mile, and if i could he'd pay for my entry fee. Showed him the time slip and even had the numbers on my window and he still called me a liar. i ran 9.3 w/ underdrives, FIPK2, auto, 19psi in street tires and letting it sit for an hour.