4:10's installed w/ diablo tune and...

SteedaQ400

Jan 15, 2003
Austin,TX
Well I got them installed yesterday and I dont really feel that much of a difference from a performance view. I mean it seems quick and all but before changing them out I ran from 0-60 with my 3.27's, it took about 7secs. Well I romped on it today and it was nearly identical to my 3:27's.:( I dont know if it's because I dont have good tires or something is up. Hmmm??:nonono: Its an auto by the way with a catted x and mac muff's.

• Sponsors (?)

when i took my car to get the 4.10's installed it felt like it was just slow and i had gotten used to it... when i got the car back it felt like it had another 50hp... ive got a speed tho... maybe you dont have the buttdyno installed :)

I didn't notice hardly any difference when I went from stock gears to 3.73's. I was all excited to feel this huge power difference.. but when I left the dealership, I was like, "Did they forget to actually put them in?"

I had a 94 GT auto without a converter and just a few bolt-ons. When I got the 4.10s put in and and a custom burnt chip it felt like I added 100hp to the car. With my 04' auto, I already had a lot of bolt-ons and when I got the 4.10s I was expecting the same results I had gotten with the 94 and it just wasn't the same. I didn't notice nearly as much of a difference. My only explanation is this: The torque curve on the old 5.0 pushrod motors comes on much sooner. Those cars with the aode stall at around 2000 rpms or so and are building gobs of torque (by mustang standards) at 2500 rpms. On the other hand, the 4.6 motors don't produce a whole lot of torque and the torque that they do produce certainly isn't in abundance at 2500rpms (more like 3800 or so). So to make my point, when I got my converter installed (3200 stall) in addition to the 4.10s then the car really came alive (even more so than the 5.0). I think it is really just a lessen in matching the motors torque curve to your stall speed. Anyways, I hope this helps. On the other hand, you could overcome all of this by just having an abundance of horsepower and torque with a blower:D Seriously:nice:

the tune has alot to do with it...when i had my 4.10s installed i added the can tune from the diablo and it felt the same,maybe even slower....then i ordered an SCT XCal2 with a custom VMP Tune and damn!...my car felt extremely faster!!

the tune has alot to do with it...when i had my 4.10s installed i added the can tune from the diablo and it felt the same,maybe even slower....then i ordered an SCT XCal2 with a custom VMP Tune and damn!...my car felt extremely faster!!
Maybe I need to start thinking about doing that. I mean I was expecting to be chirping my tires while it shifted from 2nd to 3rd at WOT, but it didn't.:( I feel like I wasted $315 for the tune and gears.:nonono:I mean the shift points are a little firmer but not like neck snapping torque I was expecting.

Ok Im shopping the net right now but not sure what type and the right stall I should order. Where would be a good place to buy one? What's a good price for a good torque converter? Any other parts recommended when buying one? Sorry for to many questions.:bang:

Maybe I need to start thinking about doing that. I mean I was expecting to be chirping my tires while it shifted from 2nd to 3rd at WOT, but it didn't.:( I feel like I wasted $315 for the tune and gears.:nonono:I mean the shift points are a little firmer but not like neck snapping torque I was expecting.

Everyone will have an opinion about TC's, so read up and make your decision then. IMO, just make sure to get a lock up model.

I will recommend doing the J-mod on your valve body.

Go to www.tccoa.com / tech articles / transmissions / and read the first 3 articles about the J-mod. Without a shift kit, the shifts will feel sluggish after you install the TC.

What makes tire chirping shifts is modification to the valve body (ie shift kit). I also would recommend the j-mod. I have had experiences with a trans-go shift kit on my last mustang that were unfavorable to say the least. Also, be sure that torque modulation is off on your tuner. I think the best way to describe the valve body modification is this: You can only increase flow by so much when increasing pressure. In order to overcome that limitation you have to have a bigger orifice. Think of blowing water thru a coffee straw as hard as you can, then compare that to a McDonalds straw (big difference huh). That is what a shift kit does, it opens up the passages in the valve body to allow for more flow. As to the converter, this is a complex and highly discussed area. Do a search and see some of the recent discussions. Ultimately, go Precision Industries, BC Automotive, or Circle D (probably the top 3 choices).