4.10's or 4.30's ???

TrickFlowd

May 17, 2003
Sayre, PA
Anyone runnin 4.30's with an AOD? I'm debating 4.10's or 4.30's. The car will not be driven much and will barely see the highway. Mostly town driving and occasional track. The only highway will be to and from shows once and awhile and maybe to work sometimes. I've had 4.10's with a 5 spd, and they were cool, but a buddy of mine has a Mach1 with 4.30's and that thing just pulls hard and revs soooo damn quick. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I have 4:10's in mine and still the only time I shift my car into OD is on the interstate. I can cruise the secondary highways at 55-60 around 2500-2700 RPM in D. I would think with 4:30's you would have to use OD alot more to cruise comfortably. I try to avoid hammering on my car in OD or for that matter even using unless neccesary since it is the weak link in the AOD.

Recently, my OD went out. My stock AOD with 3.27's in Drive (not OD) sits at 2700-2800 RPM at 55 MPH.

This is annoying on a stock engine. My gas mileage took a 40-45 MPG hit per tank and the engine ran warmer.

More RPM = More friction = More heat.

I do a lot of highway driving though, with sustained RPM.

Unless you have a taller rear tire, you will hit redline in 3rd gear before you cross through the traps at the track.

With 3.73's, i'm pretty much at redline when I pass through. Since the AOD won't allow a shift to OD at WOT, i would need a taller tire if I make my car faster otherwise i'll have to just ride out pegging off the rev limiter through the traps

With 4.30's, you'd run out of gear well before the traps.

The 4.6's (esp. the DOHC) have a higher red line so they aren't affected as much as the lower revving 5.0

Unless you have a taller rear tire, you will hit redline in 3rd gear before you cross through the traps at the track.

With 3.73's, i'm pretty much at redline when I pass through. Since the AOD won't allow a shift to OD at WOT, i would need a taller tire if I make my car faster otherwise i'll have to just ride out pegging off the rev limiter through the traps

With 4.30's, you'd run out of gear well before the traps.

The 4.6's (esp. the DOHC) have a higher red line so they aren't affected as much as the lower revving 5.0

Yes I too was at my redline with my 89 gt AOD with 3.73`s at the finish line.
I needed more rpm or a taller tire, my tires were 26" tall, he will most likely need a 27" tall tire with those 4.10`s.
The more stall in convertor the more rpm`s at the finish line, unless you keep the lockup function.