4.10's... traction?

302GTS

If you need herpes, I'm your man!
Apr 20, 2009
Largo, FL
A local shop owner seems to be cutting me a decent deal on gear install, so I'm finally ready to take the step up from my stock 3.08's. I would go 3.73, but I don't want to have a want for 4.10's 6 months from now or so. My question is, how much will my traction be affected by the new gearing? My rears are Sumitomo HTR+ 245/50ZR16's.

EDIT: No mods done to the car other than advanced timing.

• Sponsors (?)

it will give you 33% more torque going with the 4.10 over the 3.08.
this torque increase will give better acceleration as well.

this more torque will be noticable and will hurt your highway cruising RPMs.

Right, yeah. I understand the loss of mileage on the highway but luckily, my car doesn't see a whole lot of that. I'm just wondering how much it'll kill my traction at WOT as compared to the 3.08's.

i am assuming you currently have 3.08s with an open diff.

so if you go to 4.10s with a posi setup. you will increase tire spin by 33% but you are putting that to two tires now. so i think its a wash???

If you need more traction you can fit a 315 tire in the back.

i have a 3.08s with some simple bolt on and i can spin both tires all day long.

i am assuming you currently have 3.08s with an open diff.

so if you go to 4.10s with a posi setup. you will increase tire spin by 33% but you are putting that to two tires now. so i think its a wash???

If you need more traction you can fit a 315 tire in the back.

i have a 3.08s with some simple bolt on and i can spin both tires all day long.
No open, I've got the stock T-Lok in the rear. 315's can fit in there without rubbing or anything?

Anytime you go to a steeper gear ........
you'll be able to spin the tires with less effort :Word:

Now ... What a lot of peeps don't consider is this :spot:

You can gain MORE control of the wheel spin with the steeper gearset :nice:

Think of it like this :D

Ever noticed how hard it is to make the wheels stop spinning in like
2nd or 3rd gear on a wet street

BUT

When in 1st gear ... all you gotta do is back off the skinny pedal a bit
to gain control :)

Same kinda principle ;)

Grady

Anytime you go to a steeper gear ........
you'll be able to spin the tires with less effort :Word:

Now ... What a lot of peeps don't consider is this :spot:

You can gain MORE control of the wheel spin with the steeper gearset :nice:

Think of it like this :D

Ever noticed how hard it is to make the wheels stop spinning in like
2nd or 3rd gear on a wet street

BUT

When in 1st gear ... all you gotta do is back off the skinny pedal a bit
to gain control :)

Same kinda principle ;)

Grady

Damn... For once, something regarding gears makes sense to me! :nice: I've always wondered why it's a lot harder to control the wheel spin in a higher gear than first. I'm definitely getting them put in. I want to get the biggest bang for the buck when it comes to my first few mods, as money's kind of tight right now. The shop owner said if I order the gears and bring them to him, he'll install them while I'm at work (I work across the street from the shop) for $200. Sounds like a good deal, but any opinions?

That is a good deal, do it!

I didn't notice if you said you had a stick or auto, but if it is an auto do 4.10s without a doubt. If it is a stick and you have drag radials it is still a terrific setup and not bad by any means on the highway. With your Sumis you may see a good deal of spinning, but I would still spring for the 4.10s.

it will give you 33% more torque going with the 4.10 over the 3.08.
this torque increase will give better acceleration as well.

this more torque will be noticable and will hurt your highway cruising RPMs.

Incase you believed the 33% more torque... not true.. You just rev up faster due to the turning ratio of the gears. it in no way adds power. just puts you up in your power band faster. This will be one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do this early on and for 200 on the install, do it! Thats a great deal.I went with 3.73's and love them.

I did all of "bolt ons" without taking stuff out of the car, removing anything like sway bar and i got my car down to 13.55. Seeing you also have a GTS its possible! I am also running 315's. Each car is different and its hard to tell. some say they fit fine and dont rub, but from my experiance they did rub! had to beat the inner fender well a little bit so it didnt eat my tires up lol.. some 275 Drag radials would be more then enough but for looks, 315's! ;p

And for the wheel spin in higher gears, it could be that the wheels are spinning way faster in second/third gear then they are in first :shrug: Takes a bit for them to slow back down to where the tire can actually get grip again.

And for the wheel spin in higher gears, it could be that the wheels are spinning way faster in second/third gear then they are in first :shrug: Takes a bit for them to slow back down to where the tire can actually get grip again.

x2! You beat me to it:nice:

The gear ratio could be a factor as the engine can spin the tire faster, so the friction applied to the tire can slow the engine faster (thus gaining control quicker)...

the only part we're missing is what affect does going 40mph have on it? or 60?

When you're going that fast and u lose traction, its harder to get it back than if u were going a slower speed.

Incase you believed the 33% more torque... not true.. You just rev up faster due to the turning ratio of the gears. it in no way adds power. just puts you up in your power band faster. This will be one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do this early on and for 200 on the install, do it! Thats a great deal.I went with 3.73's and love them.

I did all of "bolt ons" without taking stuff out of the car, removing anything like sway bar and i got my car down to 13.55. Seeing you also have a GTS its possible! I am also running 315's. Each car is different and its hard to tell. some say they fit fine and dont rub, but from my experiance they did rub! had to beat the inner fender well a little bit so it didnt eat my tires up lol.. some 275 Drag radials would be more then enough but for looks, 315's! ;p

Fellow GTS owner. :nice: I'll stick with the 245s for now until upgrading rims. The stock 16 inch ponys aren't exactly good on the eyes compared to a nice set of Cobras. :D I also want to upgrade brakes so I need to get bigger rims anyway. Appreciate all the replies though! By the way, to an above comment, it's a stick.

applied torque is the output of the engine plus all the gear ratios; transmission and rear end.

thats why if you order custom axles you need to calculate the torque applied to the axle. this is how you determine the spline count you need. so a 500ft/lb engine torque multiplied by a 3.00:1 first gear multiplied by a 4.00:1 rear gear will give you 6000ft/lbs of torque applied to the axle.

its simple physics, leverage. the wheels spin slower than the engine therfore you gained a mechanical advatage through the gear ratios.

Hello Nate & Jeff :)

Yes .. I totally agree :nice:

If in 2nd or 3rd ... the wheels will be spinning faster
but
Still ... Same principle applies

With 273's and the tires break loose

The wheels will be spinning faster than if you had 373 and it breaks loose

Another thing ... Steeper ratios will put more torque to the ground :spot:

Thats why you do it in the first place :banana:

But Yes ... A set of gears won't add more horsepower like a combo part :D

Grady

Hello Nate & Jeff :)

Yes .. I totally agree :nice:

If in 2nd or 3rd ... the wheels will be spinning faster
but
Still ... Same principle applies

With 273's and the tires break loose

The wheels will be spinning faster than if you had 373 and it breaks loose

Another thing ... Steeper ratios will put more torque to the ground :spot:

Thats why you do it in the first place :banana:

But Yes ... A set of gears won't add more horsepower like a combo part :D

Grady
Understood. The reason I'm doing it is just for the SOTP feeling, not so much torque/horsepower. I'm not planning on bringing the car to the strip that often, and it's my daily driver, so the SOTP is really what makes the car a blast to drive for me. :D