4.10's with a manual

86Cobra said:
Some of you guys have serious reading comprehension problems. This what he said:

In other words, he doesn't give a crap about highway mileage. For the best ETs with his setup, he needs 4.10s or even 4.30s with a 26" tire or 4.56s with a 28" tire.

Anybody recommending 3.73s for his setup and needs is smoking crack. Different setups will require different gearing for optimum track performance. What works for a 600 hp blown monster or a purely stock motor is totally different than what you need for a setup like his.
OK,,,OK,,I lost sight of his original quote "driving on the streets for kicks" Shoot me!!.SHEEEEESSHH!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

drgn5.0 said:
you aren't gonna run out of 4th gear in the 1/4, you are just going to do it faster than most.

With 550+ rwhp, he should trap at least 125 mph, probably more like 130. With 4.10s and a 26" tire, that's 6500-7000 rpm through the traps. Probably more than he wants to turn.

I wouldn't worry about riding the tach for long periods. I took a trip from Atlanta, GA to Clearwater, FL last summer almost nonstop and I kept the tach between 2800-3200 averaging 3000rpm (75-90mph) the whole way with absolutly no problems, it was just another drive. The only other cooling mod I have is an oil cooler and of course synthetic M1 oil, but stock w/p on underdrives, no big deal. Temp stayed about 185-190* the whole way.

4.10's will rev about the same as 3.73's with a 28" tall tire. I am afraid though that with a 26" tall tire on 4.10's you might run out of gear in the 1/4th once you do get the mph up because hitting 5th isn't a good thing. But for now it will probally help. I am thinking of going 4.10's because I plan on 28" tall tires sooner than later plus I run mostly the 1/8th and I am overextending 3rd, but if I go in fourth I seem to loose ET but the MPH is the same if not better. I havent' tried nailing fourth at last 100ft with the new clutch though.

thanks for all the replies. I have a motorcycle and a bone stock explorer, so the only highway driving the car will see is 55mph for like 5 minutes on the way to the track. I think ill go with the 4.10's, just wanted to see how those of you who ran them in 5 speeds liked them.

do you run the 1/4 mile? i only see an 1/8 mile time there. 4.10's/26" slick is a great combo for the 1/4. don't know what you run in the quarter but, looks like 105mph is ~5500, and 108mph is ~5700. just thought i would run some numbers for you.

4.10's all the way.
Folks that think a n/a, P head'd, Ed cam'd, 4.10'd combo will run out of gear in the 1/4 are not only on crack, they are abusing crack like a pack mule.

Cripe, evan a stocker runs harder with 4.10's than 3.73's.

86Cobra said:
With 550+ rwhp, he should trap at least 125 mph, probably more like 130. With 4.10s and a 26" tire, that's 6500-7000 rpm through the traps. Probably more than he wants to turn.

Thats definetly more then I want to turn. Plus I want more top end due to it lack of 1/4 mile duty. 3.55s will most likely be going in within a few weeks, thanks for your input.

mike