4.30 Gears

97StangGT

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2002
Colora, MD
Well, I just purchased a '97 Cobra from a Ford Dealership last week. I was on I-95 the other day and I was cruising along about 80 mph. When I took my foot off the accelerator, I felt a loud vibration. I called the dealer today and they told me that the car has 4.30s in it. Would this be causing the vibration?

• Sponsors (?)

Well they said that they installed them at the dealership. The guy who traded in the car works in the service department at the dealership. They said the vibration is either the tires or the gears. Anybody wanna go for a ride to figure out what it is? :nice:

There is no break-in for gears. That said, it sounds like your driveshaft. Don't go spending money before you try turning the driveshaft.

Unbolt the driveshaft. It is 4 bolts, either 12 or 13 mm that require a 12-point. Turn the driveshaft 1 notch clockwise and test it out on the interstate to see if your noise is gone. If not, turn it again 2 more times. If nothing gets better, then you can buy that driveshaft if you want to.

I have always broke in my gears for 250 miles after I had them.

Also you can rebalance the driveshaft after reindexing it. It was discussed above on how to do it. you can use a hoseclamp to rebalance the driveshaft. If you have the Ford service CD Rom it shows you.