4.5 Gallons......56.5 miles

4.5 Gallons......56.5 miles you heard that right, how many MPG is that? my mechanic said im running rich (black smoke constantly out of the tail pipe) and my check engine light isnt on so i dont think its the 02 sensors....sooo?!?!?!? my usually driving RPM range is 1500-2500 just so u know i have stock 2.73 gears...any other possibilities?

• Sponsors (?)

If for instance, you drive 10 mins each trip, that is not bad milage (due to fuel trim given the motor's temps). But if that is after sustained non-flog driving, something could probably be done.

You really need to drive more miles between fill ups to get a real idea.
Good luck.

Well, I suppose you could possibly have a leaking injector or two? That would cause the rich condition, which causes the low mpg.

Otherwise, is your MAF stock w/ stock injectors? I looked in your sig and didn't see any MAF or Injector mods, but just making sure.

Are you sure your check engine light works? Some people black them out (previous owners) so you can't see codes. Maybe your O2's are on the verge of going out and just haven't gotten out of spec yet?

Do you let the car idle a lot? Like start it up and just sit in it running or idle a lot while working on it or sit in a lot of traffic lights? That causes bad mpg too - because you're burning gas (maybe not a lot), but you aren't moving.

custom89 - please tell us that you know how to calculate your mpg from 56.5 MILES and 4.5 GALLONS. Miles/gallon --- just divide 56.5 by 4.5. That's what mustangjoe did to arrive at 12.5.

First thing to do is to pull the codes....

HISSIN50 said:
If for instance, you drive 10 mins each trip, that is not bad milage (due to fuel trim given the motor's temps). But if that is after sustained non-flog driving, something could probably be done.

You really need to drive more miles between fill ups to get a real idea.
Good luck.

I agree :nice:

custom89stang - It's okay about not knowing how to configure the gas mileage numbers...we all get brain toots here and there :)

Please....back when I was commuting back and forth into Philly every day for college I was lucky to get 100 miles out of a tank. Now I have a job where I'm on the turnpike a lot, and I average 140 miles per tank. Also keep in mind that my car is tuned for 93 octane. Yesterday I paid $2.85 per gallon :nonono: .

i know my car is running rich cause even at idle my car has black smoke coming out of the tail pipes (no cats) so i was just seeing what else it could be since the 02 sensors are good because the check engine light hasnt came on....my check engine light DOES Work

Let us know what codes come up -- if the O2's are working correctly, it's likely one of the other sensors that are out of whack -- ACT, ECT or something wrong with the maf signal. Have you changed anything or done any work on it recently?

I just filled mine - an around town tank - 200.4 miles; 8.8 gallons. :)

changed temp. sensor, im having lean popping problems as you know already..... but i know it is a possibility i fried EEC twice.... i dropped a tool on both posotive and negative of the battery, the only thing is, that didnt even fry my stereo system or nothing...so i dont think thats what happened