4.6 2v Ticking At Idle But Not All The Time

Mia37th

Oct 8, 2016
I have a 4.6 2v that is ticking but not all the time.It started after I put stage 4 cams on my mustang I put new cam gears new timing chain kit,new lifters,valvle springs and retainers
It started after the install so I went back and thought it was the alternator bearing so I replaced the alternator.that wasn't the problem so I went ahead and changed the spark plugs to 3 degrees colder ngk and that didn't fix the problem either.I also I have new msd coils.i really don't know what it is honestly and I know it's not a rod bearing or anything else because it only happens at idle for a couple minutes then stops for about 5-10 minutes then comes back again.and it's not anything bottom end as well because I put lucas additive as well and put a much thicker oil and it didn't work.

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe a faulty cam follower. I'm inclined to believe something isn't happy with your cam swap. That's a big job with lots of small moving parts. May need to pull the valve covers and have another look.

It can't be the cam follwers because they looked good and greased when I installed the cams and if it were them it would be metal tapping/knocking everytime and it would destroy the cam leading to rocker arms and lifters snapping.i feel like it's something just going back into place and every so often getting out of place for 5 minutes then stops.i really don't know honestly

It can't be the cam follwers because they looked good and greased when I installed the cams and if it were them it would be metal tapping/knocking everytime and it would destroy the cam leading to rocker arms and lifters snapping.i feel like it's something just going back into place and every so often getting out of place for 5 minutes then stops.i really don't know honestly
I looked under the valve covers over 5 times already and everything looks good.

It sounds like a lifter that's bleeding down on you. Use a stethoscope or long screwdriver with handle up to your ear. When your engines cold, run stethoscope along valve cover I would say try about 16 oz of marvel mystery oil in with your oil. You can try this 500 miles before oil change. The fact that your ticking disappears when warm, rules out a lot of the valve train. If the marvel oil doesn't work, you'll have to isolate which lifter is causing your noise, and repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any update?
It was just a rocker arm that wipl spit out and get back in place I took the valve covers off multiple times and it never made the noise but I basically sprayed my whole warehouse with oil when I revved it to start making the knocking noise it was the passenger side front that the rocker arm was gone I replaced it 3 weeks ago

Let me get this straight. The nut from the rocker arm came off, and only ticked or caused isuue when cold! That's one for the books. Usually a loose rocker will clack Like crazy. on top of that cylinder running Like crap. I did have an inline 6 Cylinder ford fool me years back. Compression was 135psi on all 6 cyl, but it backfired through carb. When I pulled valve cover, valve and spring were laying there. Valve was bent closed so it held compression. Glad you fixed your problem, and posting results. It will help others.

Let me get this straight. The nut from the rocker arm came off, and only ticked or caused isuue when cold! That's one for the books. Usually a loose rocker will clack Like crazy. on top of that cylinder running Like crap. I did have an inline 6 Cylinder ford fool me years back. Compression was 135psi on all 6 cyl, but it backfired through carb. When I pulled valve cover, valve and spring were laying there. Valve was bent closed so it held compression. Glad you fixed your problem, and posting results. It will help others.

No not when cold it will do it randomly that's why I couldn't diagnose the problem when I had the valve covors off those 4 times I was trying to figure it out because it wouldn't knock it would knock when I would least expect it.but it wouldn't happen when it was cold usually it had to warm up but I saw and I'm great full my valves are in tact.ot would spit out of the socket of the valve and just tick tick tick tick until it sits back in the spot.

My bad, I mixed yours up with someone with a 5.0liter. Again glad you fixed your problem without having to tear into your motor. Sometimes in life, we just get lucky. Maybe it was Halloween!