Engine 4.6 --> 347

• Sponsors (?)

If you're looking for 400-450 rwhp, here's what you do. (and trust me, I've been here and done ALL of this myself, and to me, there's no other option)

1. Go to www.car-part.com to look for junkyard motors in your area. You are looking for a 4.6 PI (performance improved) motor. The number 1 choice would be an aluminum block motor from an 02-05 Explorer or Expedition because they are ~100 pounds lighter. The number 2 choice is a motor from an 01+ Lincoln Towncar, Mercury Grand Marquis, or Ford Crown Vic. I'd avoid police cars. The number 3 choice is a motor from a 99+ F150. You can also get them out of 99-04 Mustang GTs, but they will be twice as much as the other choices here (even though they are EXACTLY the same).

2. Swap the motors. Whatever motor you get, you'll need to swap a few parts over from your current engine. These include: timing cover, oil pan, oil pan pickup tube, exhaust manifolds, valve covers (maybe), and intake system (elbow, throttle body, intake tube, MAF, and air box), and all accessories. If you get a car motor of any sort, you will use the intake manifold that came on that car. If you get a truck or SUV motor, you will need to find a PI intake manifold. Or, if you get a positive displacement blower, you won't need one at all. All of the electronics, wiring, ignition system, etc. will work %100.

3. Put an intercooled supercharger on it. Pick your flavor. There's a billion threads out there detailing the different types and pros/cons of each. If I were doing it all over again, I'd get the Tork Tech Terminator kit and swap on a ported Cobra/Lightning blower, but for someone who hasn't done a lot of work on these cars, that might be a little involved. If I were recommending one to someone who wanted a simple install, I'd say get the entire Tork Tech intercooled kit with their Magnuson blower. You will also need a fuel pump (an SVT Focus pump will be fine for 450 rwhp, and only about ~$100), injectors (03-04 Cobras, or 99-04 Lightnings would be perfect), and a MAF sensor (99-04 90mm Lightning).

4. If you so desire, do a couple of the other bolt-ons. Personally, I'd go with an offroad midpipe of your choosing (if you can get through inspections in your area), a catback of your choosing, a CAI, 75mm TB, and elbow. That's about it, though. Long tubes are nice, but expensive.

5. Get it tuned. You'll probably need an SCT X3 handheld tuner for this, and a decent dyno tuner. This setup will easily make 400 rwhp, and it's just a matter of swapping pulleys if you want more. And trust me, coming from someone who drives a 400 rwhp car on the street, it is a handfull. This setup will be a PLENTY of power on the street for 99%+ of people out there.

If you shop around and get some decent deals on used parts, this entire setup can be done for <$5000. Plus, it will behave completely like it did stock. Very easy to drive in the rain, 25+ mpg, etc. And with the right tires, gears, and driver, it is easily a mid-11 second car at the track.
my only disagreement to that is mpg's.....I'm getting 16mpg on my setup.....but I knew what I was getting into when I built the car.....

People have put push rod power in these cars but I can't see why you would waste your time and money. Maybe it' because I own both a Fox and a New Edge Mustang but the mod motors are easy to work on, operate smoother, and if you have the cash a ton of potential. Check out the latest issue of 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords.. 3V swaps are getting more and more popular in the 96-04 GT Mustangs. There are so good kits and parts out there that make it easy.

In a few years when it comes time to replace the 2V in my 2000 GT (still low miles on it) I'm gonna go the 3V route and start with a built 3v. If you have the cash to drop into it there are swap kits that make it super easy....assuming u have the tools and how.

Of course if you have some disposable income a 03' 04' 4V swap would be cool too,

I totally agree with you. All of this pretty much applies to the Fox Mustangs also which I have been down that road a few times over the last 12 or so years of ownership with my 87 GT. Since my newest Mustang I have only owned for 2 months now still has low miles I will play with the 2V and have some fun. I just wanted to go down a different path when the time comes and do something different. I've done a lot of stuff with my 87 GT and personally I like working on the modular 2v over the pushrod 5.0L. I will be putting my Fox up for sale soon so I will be able to reinvest the money I make off of it to fund new things for my 2000.

Though, if the time came right now that I needed a new engine I would head down the 3V route, just me, but everyone has their "thing" they want to do with their car, right? If not this we couldn't consider this a hobby.

I totally agree with you. All of this pretty much applies to the Fox Mustangs also which I have been down that road a few times over the last 12 or so years of ownership with my 87 GT. Since my newest Mustang I have only owned for 2 months now still has low miles I will play with the 2V and have some fun. I just wanted to go down a different path when the time comes and do something different. I've done a lot of stuff with my 87 GT and personally I like working on the modular 2v over the pushrod 5.0L. I will be putting my Fox up for sale soon so I will be able to reinvest the money I make off of it to fund new things for my 2000.

Though, if the time came right now that I needed a new engine I would head down the 3V route, just me, but everyone has their "thing" they want to do with their car, right? If not this we couldn't consider this a hobby.

I've worked on both mod motors and 5.0s, and I've never understood why people have a conception that 4.6s are harder to work on. They really are simple and easy to work on. About the only things that I can think of that are difficult are long tube headers and that friggin starter. But other than that, I can completely disassemble the motor from my car with tools I can hold in 2 hands. :shrug:

Also, 2-valves are starting to come around to the point where they're fairly affordable to go fast with. If you shop around, you can find forged rods/pistons for $1k-ish, and used superchargers are going for <$3k all day long. Put the two together and you've got a reliable 500 rwhp car that you can comfortably take your girlfriend on a 3 hour trip in, for a very reasonable total cost.

I understand the 3-valve idea, but for the same money to swap in a 3-valve, you can build the bottom end of a 2-valve and put a good chunk towards forced induction.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea, I was one of those guys that never owned a 2v and "heard" they were harder to work on than their push rod powered brothers and sisters but after owning my first 2v and getting my hands dirty did I realize that I was having more fun. That's why I got another one. I really should have never sold my 96'.

Right now I have changed out the factory exhaust and I have a cold air kit and I want to buy a hand held tuner and that all I plan on doing for now. Going to concentrate on appearance on this Mustang. My plan is a entry level centi blower, set of good cams, and gears should get me by until the mileage starts racking up. It's my DD too so I cant go to wild.

If you're looking for 400-450 rwhp, here's what you do. (and trust me, I've been here and done ALL of this myself, and to me, there's no other option)

1. Go to www.car-part.com to look for junkyard motors in your area. You are looking for a 4.6 PI (performance improved) motor. The number 1 choice would be an aluminum block motor from an 02-05 Explorer or Expedition because they are ~100 pounds lighter. The number 2 choice is a motor from an 01+ Lincoln Towncar, Mercury Grand Marquis, or Ford Crown Vic. I'd avoid police cars. The number 3 choice is a motor from a 99+ F150. You can also get them out of 99-04 Mustang GTs, but they will be twice as much as the other choices here (even though they are EXACTLY the same).

2. Swap the motors. Whatever motor you get, you'll need to swap a few parts over from your current engine. These include: timing cover, oil pan, oil pan pickup tube, exhaust manifolds, valve covers (maybe), and intake system (elbow, throttle body, intake tube, MAF, and air box), and all accessories. If you get a car motor of any sort, you will use the intake manifold that came on that car. If you get a truck or SUV motor, you will need to find a PI intake manifold. Or, if you get a positive displacement blower, you won't need one at all. All of the electronics, wiring, ignition system, etc. will work %100.

3. Put an intercooled supercharger on it. Pick your flavor. There's a billion threads out there detailing the different types and pros/cons of each. If I were doing it all over again, I'd get the Tork Tech Terminator kit and swap on a ported Cobra/Lightning blower, but for someone who hasn't done a lot of work on these cars, that might be a little involved. If I were recommending one to someone who wanted a simple install, I'd say get the entire Tork Tech intercooled kit with their Magnuson blower. You will also need a fuel pump (an SVT Focus pump will be fine for 450 rwhp, and only about ~$100), injectors (03-04 Cobras, or 99-04 Lightnings would be perfect), and a MAF sensor (99-04 90mm Lightning).

4. If you so desire, do a couple of the other bolt-ons. Personally, I'd go with an offroad midpipe of your choosing (if you can get through inspections in your area), a catback of your choosing, a CAI, 75mm TB, and elbow. That's about it, though. Long tubes are nice, but expensive.

5. Get it tuned. You'll probably need an SCT X3 handheld tuner for this, and a decent dyno tuner. This setup will easily make 400 rwhp, and it's just a matter of swapping pulleys if you want more. And trust me, coming from someone who drives a 400 rwhp car on the street, it is a handfull. This setup will be a PLENTY of power on the street for 99%+ of people out there.

If you shop around and get some decent deals on used parts, this entire setup can be done for <$5000. Plus, it will behave completely like it did stock. Very easy to drive in the rain, 25+ mpg, etc. And with the right tires, gears, and driver, it is easily a mid-11 second car at the track.

I found a '03 marquis (48k) & '05 towncar (57K)hope this would a direct swap like you instructed. Let me know what are your thoughts on this swap will be picking up one of these 4.6