4.6 motor ?'s

mustang51js

Nov 13, 2009
i am looking into changing my block and going forged.I was thinking about looking for a used one online. I wanted to know what are my options as for as motors from other cars that would work.I know some explorer blocks and lincoln blocks would work but do any of them come with the forged crankshaft and rods, and what about the mach one motors , do they come all forged or just the crankshaft.Or am i wasting my time and should just look for 03/04 cobra block or a MMR block.I dont mind taking the engine apart and putting back together but i figured it was easier changing the block and then doing heads and cams later on.Thanks for any help

• Sponsors (?)

i was thinking about that but its alot more money than i was planning,i got a quote of 13k for the whole motor,thats including heads and cams but just the block would prob be about 6k. I am not in a rush to do this, its something i am planning for the future and i like doing things myself so thats why i've been reading and watching videos on how to work on my motor.If i can get a fordged block for a decent price i feel confident that i could change it myself and would just have to bring it in for a tune.

Look into FRPPs "aluminator" shortblocks. $4500 gets you factory-built (read "reliable"), steel-crank, H-beams, forged pistons, lightweight block, new oil pump etc etc etc. You just have to dress it.

That's a pretty good deal.

Quoted from the above link "4.6 2v shortblock, forged internals, new - ModularFords.com"

"ready to handle turbo, supercharger, or nitrous."

"Don't bog down your engine build with 8.5:1 compression… it takes less boost to obtain big horsepower when using a higher CR"

Seriously? I know this is just marketing speak, but seriously? High compression for nitrous I get, but high compression for FI? Lemme guess, they don't offer any kind of guarantee/warrantee, do they?