4.6 water pump keeps leaking

foncarelli

Jan 7, 2003
I changed my original pump because i thought is was going bad. I later found out that the pump is leaking from the bottom. I took the new pump and changed the O ring and its still leaking.....WTF

• Sponsors (?)

DropTopPony said:
have you checked to make sure its not your intake cracked and leaking down the front...just a thought.

+1 I have yet to see a water pump leak on a 4.6 not only have I never seen one leak but I have never seen anybody replace one for a leak yet. Get your hands on a presure tester and make sure it's not leaking from the intake, when they leak from the crossover the coolant ends up down at the bottom of the water pump.

How did you bolt it onto the block? I kept doing a criss cross pattern on the 4 bolts to insure an even draw, otherwise it wanted to sit sort of crooked and not go in all the way. It is possible that the O-ring you used is just a piece of crap too, so hopefully replacing that will take care of the leak. Just some things to consider

foncarelli said:
There are no signs of coolant anywhere above the pump.

sometimes it will look that way with a intake leak. I just think you should go to a parts store that has free tool rental and get a presure tester then you can see exactly where the leak is coming from. The intake has been a major problem on these cars, in fact there is a recall out on the coolant crossover leaking. This recall is most likely over for your car but I will still check for this problem yourself.

yup i thought i had a bad water pump, replaced it and still had the leak, turns out my intake was cracked but fortunately it got fixed under the recall for free :)

oh the leak on mine looked like it was coming from the bottom of the pump but the closer i looked i noticed it was actually coming from the top of the intake manifold and spilling over the side

Pull the front two coils on the driver's side and see if the plug bores are full of antifreeze. That where the coolant was going on mine when the intake cracked. It's either 7 or 8mm bolt can't remember