4.6L DOHC from Lincolin Continental compatible with mustang

motosys

Nov 6, 2003
Mesa AZ
Hey All,

I have an opportunity to purchase a 4.6L DOHC InTech from a 2000 Lincoln continental I have a 96 GT Vert that has a bad motor. does anyone know for sure if that motor will be compatible with the mustang I have an 04 AOT tranny. will this motor mount to my tranny anything I should consider before or after purchasing?

• Sponsors (?)

+1 on above.

The 2000 Lincoln Continental is a front wheel drive car. The block has a different bolt pattern. The transmission will NOT bolt up to it without modifications. In addition, there are other differences in the oil pan and starter configuration. The bosses for the motor mounts are un-finished.

There are other parts of the engine that WILL interchange with a DOHC. Examples include heads and rotating assembly.

Also consider that the Continental is a 4V DOHC motor. So there is also the issues with doing a SOHC to DOHC swap.

Transmission differences between 96 and 04:

The transmission from a 1996-1998 uses a VSS sensor. Transmission from 1999+ uses an OSS sensor. The output from the two sensors are NOT compatible with each other. The sensor type has to match the A/D converter and wiring harness of the target car.

Expect to have problems getting your speedo to work. Without an accurate speedo, the PCM will not know when the shift an automatic transmission.

There are also differences in the Digital Transmission Range (DTR) selector.

It may be possible to swap the components but some dis-assemble will be required.

If you are looking for a straight forward swap, this is not it.