4.6l Dohc !!!

Shano2001

Mar 19, 2008
So i got a 1995 4.6l DOHC out of a Lincoln mark vIII (drove 9h one way to get it !). Will try post up some pics soon ! I know i have to change the oil pan. But my question is does anyone know of anything else i have to change and if the plenum off my 1998 mustang gt will fit on the 95 dohc ? also will the wiring harness and computer will work from the 98 gt sohc on the 95 dohc lincoln? :SNSign::SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

You bascially need a 96-98 cobra donor car. You need all the cobra stuff to make it work. None of your gt motor stuff will work on it. (like intakes and such. Your midpipe and catback should work.) Good luck with your swap. Might was to use the search feature up top, this has been done a few times I believe. This is a good swap but you need some more stuff.

Heres the pics! :)
hpim3328.jpg

hpim3331.jpg

hpim3332.jpg

hpim3330.jpg

hpim3329.jpg

He gave me an extra set of heads for it !

So i will need a different intake plenum than the one from the 1998 gt ?
i have the harness as you can see in the pic and i was told you can change the oil pan from the gt to the dohc.
Anyone know anything else ill need trying to get parts together !

Thanks,
Shane

You bascially need a 96-98 cobra donor car. You need all the cobra stuff to make it work. None of your gt motor stuff will work on it. (like intakes and such. Your midpipe and catback should work.) Good luck with your swap. Might was to use the search feature up top, this has been done a few times I believe. This is a good swap but you need some more stuff.

Tried the search and found some info but not to much about using a 95 mark 8 harness with a 98 gt computer and all that. I was also wondering about the throttle body hitting the firewall ? im worries about it. also would a cold air intake fit on there. ?
Thanks

You should have posted this before you drove 9-hours to buy it. We probably would have tried to talk you out of it. It’s going to be a lot of work and miscellaneous parts to get that thing running in your GT. And in the end you're only going to make another 25hp over a 2V PI engine. You probably would have been further ahead sticking with a with a 2V engine.

You should have posted this before you drove 9-hours to buy it. We probably would have tried to talk you out of it. It’s going to be a lot of work and miscellaneous parts to get that thing running in your GT. And in the end you're only going to make another 25hp over a 2V PI engine. You probably would have been further ahead sticking with a with a 2V engine.

http://forums.stangnet.com/774899-98-4-6l-intake-manifold.html

My dad is a mechanic and can help me with anything i need but i rather try find all info i can and do all of it or everything myself.

It can be done. A good friend of mine put a 4 valve 5.4 in a gt and used all stock type cobra parts like wiring and puter. He had to make a custome upper intake as none were avail at that time. Its really cool looking and different, but as it sits un tuned, it runs 13.70s at like 102, so basically runs with good bolt on pi 2v's. Tuned, I imagine it runs a lot better but it was a lot of work and he is very mechanically inclined.

Ok, now I'm confused. Are you looking for an intake for the 2-valve engine or an intake for the 4-valve engine. You do realize they're nothing at all alike, right?

Sorry, you seen at bottom of that topic i was asking about the dohc there. But regardless i am going to try drop it in and see how it goes! i read somewhere that the computer and everything will work so we will see when it comes time! Im looking forward to it and i always has the sohc if it does not work. All i would need is an intake :nice:. I guess i really like the look of the DOHC and no one really has it except for a very few people and at that there are hardly non. I unfortunately wont be doing much work on it right now but ill try keep posting my progress! any information or tips GLADLY welcome :D

Why dont you put your top end parts on the alum. block. That block should have flat top pistons and should bump your comp. ratio. While your at it do a port your heads and get a nice set of cams while the heads are off. Put it together get a good tune and you will still be below your 4v swap budget.

Okay, dont hold me to this but I have read many swap posts in this and other forums and this is what I found: The engine will drop right in and the stock computer will run it but needs to be flashed. The IMRC wont work so you eaither need to get the bypass kit (or remove the blades) or find the adapter kit. Somebody on here knew where it was, I will see if I can find who.
You can also use the Mark VIII plenum but need a cowl hood to clear it. Your best bet would be to get a 96-98 Cobra plenum and drop it on. They can be found for $300 on eBay. Because the Mark VIII is a six bolt crank you can use the GTs flywheel and clutch just fine. With the Cobra plenum you will have 90 horses over your 98 GT motor has but the DOHC has a much nicer power curve, revs higher, builds torque quicker and just sounds so freakin sweet! :drool:

I have outrun SN95 Aeros and New edges as well as S197 GTs at the track so the motor has some balls :nice:

sweet ty laser ! cowl hood ? hmm first time i hear of it ill hav e to look into it. As for the cobra plenum i might hold off until next year and do that with cams, exhaust, gears and transmission. maybe some other mods too.

Yes, for the most part that will bolt right in. Might as well get a 96-98 Cobra intake as they bolt on the B heads of the 93-97 Mark VIII. You can also do a short runner intake w/ a IMRC delete(you will need to 4.30's or more to overcome to the torque loss) and enjoy more mid-high range power w/ tune.

You might need to modify the wiring harness, but not 100% sure. Also I would find some cleaner coolant crossover tubes as yours looks in bad shape. Being the engine is out, I would try and clean up(replace if you can while it is easy to get to) some parts. Much easier now, than when they break and already on the car.

i just picked up a mark viii motor and trans for 250 total!!! im going to work on converting my hatch to a mod motor. i primarily got the motor for the heads, block, and accy brackets....
it is very very very pricy swapping to a mod motor w/o a doner car

the trans is going to be rebuilt and put into my convertable w/ a trans brake

Update.

Engine is in ! it sounds AWSOME !!!!! got a 97 cobra intake on it ! only thing i have left is i need a cobra throttle cable !!!!! any ideas? ford does not make them anymore and only thing i can find is ebay for $100+ and bout week to ship !!!!!! the next thing im going to try is to maybe hit a junk yard and see if i can find ANYTHING that is close to fit and mod it .... Sugestions ?

Can do pics of it in but camera still isnt working so ill borrow my g/f . as for write up sure ill do my best one of these nights. was pretty easy swap to be honest. the only problem i really ran into was i put it it one afternoon and realized that three bolts were broken off in the engine for the trans so i had to pull it out the next day and put it back in :) i did it in day easy though . i was working in my dads garage with a hoist, engine lift and two toolboxes full of tools :D:canada: will try post pics of it tomorrow. This is not show finish as i am gonna pull it in winter agian and paint as well as detail car and engine.:SNSign: also need a cold air intake REALLY bad once cash starts flowing agian lol had to cut up and mod old one with black ducktape !!!!!!:*****(