4.6L Gas Mileage

• Sponsors (?)

Call me crazy, but I DID buy my Cobra for fuel economy. I had a chance to trade my SUV, liked the idea of a smaller/quicker car, and then once I calculated how much I'd save in gas each year, I found out it was enough to pay for several mods. Typically I get 20-22 mixed driving. I've gotten a best of 27, but usually get 25ish on the interstate. The worst I've ever gotten is 18, and that was when I made quite a few passes at the local drag strip.

Last time I went to the strip, I ran 12 times, and dogged on it all night long when I got back home. Got my worse mileage ever of 19 mpg. Driving back and forth to school on the interstate cruising at 80 mph I normally get 26-27, although I have gotten 29 one time. And this is on an auto. My granddad's 2001 auto gt gets the exact same thing.

LOL at the person aspiring for single digit mileage. I've done it in my 2.3 a few times (running E85 and much bigger injectors with no tune), but it was still only 9mpg, combined track and city driving. :lol:
The worst I've gotten in the 4.6 is 17mpg, all city and having fun. The best was 28mpg, 90% highway. The average is around 20, but I do a lot of city driving and short trips. Not difficult to get 25-26 on the highway.

Not difficult to get 25-26 on the highway.

It's not difficult at all. That's actually one of the things I love about these cars. There's really no fuel economy penalty; heck, my car does better than my Mom's Honda Odyssey and my sister's Toyota Avalon! I really cannot complain about my supercharged, 400 rwhp Mustang equaling THOSE vehicles in fuel economy! Furthermore, my car has proved to be equally reliable to those two! (although I'm sure something will decide to break now that I've said that)

What can I say, I love my car! :D

I'll usually get 14-16 city, and 20-23 hwy. Thats with 4.10's. I've had them for over a year and its pretty much stayed the same.

On the old 3.27's city MPG was a little lower, and the hwy MPG a little higher. Best ever recorded with the 3.27's was 29mpg driving at 60mph for over 100 miles.

Hey guys i have a quick question for you. On average what type of gas mileage do you guys get? I just calculated that i got around 17.4 mpg and i was wondering if thats a little low. I realize its a mustang so i was just wondering what you guys get. Oh and btw this was done with premium grade and just city driving!!!

Yeah, 17.5 mpg routinely, but that is from about 70% city driving. :(

i dont know whats going on with my car at the moment...i am lucky to average around 12-14 MPG with mix driving. i took a trip doing about 70-75 MPH and only averaged about 17-18 MPG all highway...i have noticed in the past 2-3 months my gas mileage has decreased and i would really like to know why...i used to average a lil more than that but not much much more...any ideas or suggestions anyone...

in the city ive never averaged less than 19-20, and i do occaisonally floor it at a stoplight or 2 :D

i went on a road trip last weekend and at 100% highway i managed to pull off 26mpg.. and that was going 70mph the entire time with the AC on

i dont know whats going on with my car at the moment...i am lucky to average around 12-14 MPG with mix driving. i took a trip doing about 70-75 MPH and only averaged about 17-18 MPG all highway...i have noticed in the past 2-3 months my gas mileage has decreased and i would really like to know why...i used to average a lil more than that but not much much more...any ideas or suggestions anyone...

Has the car had a tune-up recently? What grade oil? Any noticeable power loss? Any error codes? When I think bad gas mileage, I usually think: spark plugs, stuck caliper or e-brake, bad O2 sensor, low compression, or extreme lead foot. For the record, my 98 GT with 2.73s gets 28-30mpg on the highway, so yes you certainly do have a problem.

Has the car had a tune-up recently? What grade oil? Any noticeable power loss? Any error codes? When I think bad gas mileage, I usually think: spark plugs, stuck caliper or e-brake, bad O2 sensor, low compression, or extreme lead foot. For the record, my 98 GT with 2.73s gets 28-30mpg on the highway, so yes you certainly do have a problem.

spark plugs, oil, and idle air control valve were changed the morning of the trip....the car does feel like it is lagging power...i just changed my back o2 sensors this weekend, im running an O/R x with mil eliminators...even with normal, everday, easy goign driving i get poor gas mileage...what would be a cause of low compression...what would be fix for that same issue...

i have not checked the fuel mileage on my car yet, but i filled it up, and with some heavy acceleration and about 50% freeway and 50% city my gas light came on at 204 miles. is this prety decent for these cars, is the tank 15gal? i put 13.8 gal in when the light came on