4.6L transplanted into a Shelby Cobra 427 S/C

I am a die hard Shelby Cobra fan so please dont put a fuel injected engine into that car. It just has to have a big ole cast iron V8 with a wild ass cam that sounds like the world is going to end when you start it up.

My father and I went to the Superformance dealer near Cincinatti and the guy there started one up with a 351 and I was next to the exhaust tip and didnt know he was gonna start it, I was deaf for like 5 minutes. It was one of the greatest experiences in my life.

And yes listen to 03TrueBlu, factory five is not very good quality. My friends dad is building one right now and it doesnt even compare to a ERA or Superformance in quality of materials. If you are doing it do it right.

• Sponsors (?)

Guys, Too much power in a 2300 lb tiny car will be uncontrollable, and a big heavy engine will make it handle horribly and kill weight distribution. This is a daily driver, not a race car. Go with a 260 hp GT engine and do full exhaust :)

pony_vert02 said:
I second this motion... great choice for a daily driver.. you could always add bolt-ons for a few extra ponies... :nice:
Third.. A mini weighs 2700 pounds and is pretty quick with a 163 motor probably 130 at the wheels.. Imagine 230ish RWHP and 265ish RWTQ in a 2300 pound car.. Insane..

With the saved money you can put more into beefing up the rear suspension and a quality exhaust system with Longtube headers and a nice custom catback. and whatever other gadgets you want.

jas142 said:
Guys, Too much power in a 2300 lb tiny car will be uncontrollable, and a big heavy engine will make it handle horribly and kill weight distribution. This is a daily driver, not a race car. Go with a 260 hp GT engine and do full exhaust :)

SINNER! How can say something like that! Too much power?? "You never had me, you never even had your car!!"...Sorry don't know how that slipped out there.... :D

230RWHP will be great until the first time some egotistical jerk in a new Vette stomps you and then rubs it in at the next light.. You know by saying something like "You should have bought a "real car", like my Vette" or "boy I thought those Cobras were faster"..

Don't make a legend like the Cobra look bad on the streets by not having enough power to back up the looks.. please.. :nice:

Again, thanks for all the replies.

A quick off topic note on Cobra replica manufactures:
I've done tons of online research and I'm a member of clubcobra.com. I've inspected about 15 different cobras and have ridden in about 10 different manufactures Cobras. I do rank Factory Five as the cheapest and least desirable. I want a Cobra that is more authentic looking inside and out (minus the $20,000 engine for now). Shelby America, Kirkham, and Premier Motorsports all have interchangable parts, use the correct 4" tubeular frame, suspension, etc.

On topic:
The Cobra has headers and sidepipes, so the exhaust is not restrictive at all. And a reminder, I DON'T want a beast of a motor. 500hp is just not very useable. 300 at the wheel would be perfect for my needs.

wms004,
You might have forgotten that is engine is going in a Shelby Cobra. There are no Cats in the exhaust. And the Cobra already comes with beefed up suspension.

04DarkShadowGT,
I know what your saying about having a kick a$$ engine in there, but for now I just want something that makes a nice daily driver when weather permits. My daily commute is 40 miles and I don't want to have to fight the car to enjoy it.

My budget for engine is LESS than $5000, hopefully $2000-$3000.

Shelby Cobra said:
I've done tons of online research and I'm a member of clubcobra.com. I've inspected about 15 different cobras and have ridden in about 10 different manufactures Cobras. I do rank Factory Five as the cheapest and least desirable. I want a Cobra that is more authentic looking inside and out (minus the $20,000 engine for now). Shelby America, Kirkham, and Premier Motorsports all have interchangable parts, use the correct 4" tubeular frame, suspension, etc.

Nevermind the fact they've won every single Run & Gun (with a car that was crashed and repaired early in competion the first time) event since 1991 or 1992 and they have a staggering number of first place win's in all kinds of competition from racing to show cars.

Nevermind the fact that their replica is designed to perform while maintaining the original appearence and do so at a reasonble cost.

But sure, spend more money someplace else if you like. After all it is your money. If it were my money (and I'd buy if I could) I'd buy Factory Five.

EDIT: Oh yeah and I'd do a worked over Stroker 5.0 SOHC Mod motor or a 347 5.0 stroker with AFR heads and a Victor Jr.

Some of the Kits are more expensive with a Modular Motor. The Factory Five I am almost certain unless it has changed cannot be had with a Mod motor? (I looked at a used Stang for sale at a dealer of FF cars in Kansas City.) He had a couple of cars he was building and as far as I could tell those kits are pretty nice. According to him they are the best.

If you can I would however go with the Mach 1 or older N/A Cobra Motor. I am sure you could find them for less than 5000.00 used. They are aluminum block so they are lighter and would make for a great handling car by not being nose heavy. Probably would hook better too. The old FE motors are heavy. Yeah you won't have the torque but how much do you need in a sub 2300lb car to get it going anyway? You will have smooth fuel efficient performance. Put a supercharger on for 2500.00 later and you have better performance than the old unreliable 427.

I am old school, was a teen in the latter part of the supercar era. (early 70's)
Believe me the new breed of engines are by far better for everday driving. I had a 65 Chevelle SS with a mild 396 and it would get 16mpg on the highway and 10mpg in town. These cars only weighed about 3100 with the Rat Motor in them.

With the early Cobra or Mach you would have 305 -320hp out of the box. The SOHC is iron and 260hp. To get to the" out of box" power you would have to spend 2500.00 for Supercharger or go with P&P, Cams and bolt ons anyway to get to 300hp. Why not start out with that power? Just go drive a 95 GT and for fair power comparison a 96-98 GT and you will see the difference. The 4.6 Revs better and smoother with a broader power band.

tjm73 said:
Nevermind the fact they've won every single Run & Gun (with a car that was crashed and repaired early in competion the first time) event since 1991 or 1992 and they have a staggering number of first place win's in all kinds of competition from racing to show cars.

Nevermind the fact that their replica is designed to perform while maintaining the original appearence and do so at a reasonble cost.

But sure, spend more money someplace else if you like. After all it is your money. If it were my money (and I'd buy if I could) I'd buy Factory Five.

EDIT: Oh yeah and I'd do a worked over Stroker 5.0 SOHC Mod motor or a 347 5.0 stroker with AFR heads and a Victor Jr.
Didn't Backdraft's Cobra win Run & Gun this last time? It's a Cobra replica with BMW M suspension and a monster of a motor. Of course there is a car for everyone and every budget. You get what you pay for. I just want a step up on fit and finish, though the FFR #4323 for sale HERE looks really nice, but then again he is asking $38,900.

new22003,
I can't afford a Kirkham or shelby that is why I'm going with Premier. I know the guys and they are going to give me a nice discount. I've set a total budget for myself of low $40K for a complete car.

I can't believe no one has suggested with turning it into a 289. Those 289s can make a bunch of power and rev to 9,000 RPM and be more fun rowing trough the gears. In a car like that, it would make more sense to have a smaller motor with more RPM potential. I know that you can get a 351 to rev like that but that is probably more costly than wanted.

I would personally try to build something like a 289 that came out of a GT40. Not the most tq but plenty of it in a car like that. And who takes a Cobra to a drag strip anyway? Don't they demand to be taken throughout the switch backs and mountain roads? If you use that logic than a car that winds up more would be more desireable.

Just my 2 cents.

Shelby Cobra said:
My questions are:
- Do you guys truly like these engines?
- Which engine would you recommend? Remembering it's going in a 2300lbs car.
- Is the SOHC built pretty strong? Any weak links?
- Is the DOHC Mach 1 engine built much stronger?
- Do I really need a supercharger?
- Is the DOHC simply a better engine than the SOHC?
- What are the ideal no brainer mods to meet my goals below? (Intake, TB) Cobra already has headers and high flowing side pipes.

Here are my goals with the Shelby Cobra:
- Daily driver (weather permitting)
- Daily commute is 40 miles, so 20+ MPG would be nice
- Occasional 1/4 mile drags, with 12 to 12.5 seconds runs
- Occasional auto-cross
well, id go check out the junk yard dog route. that would save you $$ on a engine. since u like 300hp id look at one of the old push-rod engines from the fox bodies. torque is supost to be better in those engines than the 4.6. If u do go for a 4.6 there isn't a whole lot to choose from compared to the 5.0, I know why they told you the 4.6 was more "efficient", it has sohc or dohc. over head cams are supost to be more efficient than a push rod setup(less moving stuff) U could build up a 4.6 or add a kb super charger but ur gona spend lota money gettin to where a good 351 can. on the 5.0 u can go get a new block (aluminum or what ever) order heads(your choice, there are many manufacurers) and lots of different levels of dress for accesories.

Just wondering, whats a cobra gona cost u?? with out motor.

Arnolds97 said:
Some of the Kits are more expensive with a Modular Motor. The Factory Five I am almost certain unless it has changed cannot be had with a Mod motor?

They have a Mark III (3rd generatino design) now that accepts suspension from any Fox body based Mustang from 87 to 94 now.

With any luck my 98 GT will give birth to a 5.0 Mod motor Cobra replica

BETTERBULLITT said:
I have a question, how much is it for a real Shelby? You know one of the new CSX 4000's or CSX7000's (289 version)..

I figure those are what $50k for the 289 version? Why not get one of those and have the real deal? :shrug:
Forsale right now:
Aluminum cars
CSX4104 - $95,000
CSX4094 - $150,000
CSX4157 - $119,995
CSX4??? - $115,000

New Shelby fiberglass cars start at $42,500 with no engine or transmission and there is a 2 year waiting list. FYI: they are now made in South Africa.

Kirkham 0021 - $95,000
Kirkham 289FIA - $75,000
ERA #654 - $69,900

go with a pushrod small block, they're cheaper, have more potential, are simpler, fit the car better, and last time I checked-they were lighter than the mod motors. You could build a 500 hp 351W based 427 with aluminum heads for less than you could build a 350 hp mod motor, plus it would be lighter.
Seems(IIRC) the mod motors weigh around 600 lbs, an all iron sbf weighs about 450-480, throw in aluminum heads, intake, etc., it could drop down to the low 400 range.

A 300 horse 302 can built from scratch for around $2000, that should put a 2300# car in the 12's easy.

Shelby Cobra said:
Forsale right now:
Aluminum cars
CSX4104 - $95,000
CSX4094 - $150,000
CSX4157 - $119,995
CSX4??? - $115,000

New Shelby fiberglass cars start at $42,500 with no engine or transmission and there is a 2 year waiting list. FYI: they are now made in South Africa.

Kirkham 0021 - $95,000
Kirkham 289FIA - $75,000
ERA #654 - $69,900

Yikes! I guess they make you pay up for the real thing huh??