4 Banger or V-6...U tell me??

Bigfootbuz

Dec 14, 2004
I have just joined up on this site and have asked a few questions regurading my 87 Stang. I was informed that when I bought the car, that is was a V-6 body style with a carburated 5.0 in it. But, I have also been told by a member of the site that there was no V-6 Mustang in 1987. So, my question is this: Is there any where to go without paying to look up the vin numbers on my car and find out for sure what it was originally? Well, I say without paying, I wouldn't mind paying like 20 bucks to find out, but anything more than that I would just drop the search. I really want to know though. Hit me up if you guys have any suggestions. Thanx...

• Sponsors (?)

i thought all foxes had 4 bangers (turbo and non) and V8's.

i dont mean to sound like a jerk, but what motor is under your hood? i think some 4 bangers had double fire ignitions (2 wires/cylinder).

also, i think all stangs by 87 were fuel injected.
good luck. :)

What rear end is under the car, 7.5" or 8.8"? How big are the front brake rotors, 10" or 11"? Since it's a carbed motor, I would bet that those items are probably still 4-cyl stock (based on the stereotype that carb 5.0 conversions are usually hack jobs).

I still think you've got an original 2.3 car on your hands.

Ash

Well, it was ORIGINALLY a four banger, I think, but the guy told me that it was a V-6 body... But, I think I've already established that was b/s. But as far as the motor goes, it is an old 5.0 out of a pickup truck with a Holley 650 on it. I was just wonderig how could I be for sure what kind of body I had so I'll know more about what I need to do as far as suspension, brakes, and bodywork....etc.. That's all I'm really looking for, though.

Hack job is right!! The dude who did that was a hack job...There are ghetto wires and connections everywhere. I mean it is bad. But, I'm with you, I do think everything is in 4 banger stock condition. I know that he must have done something to the suspension on the front end in order to get a 4-banger to hold a 5.0 without sagging, though. I really don't know what I have yet...hence the reason for joining this site. But, so far it has proved very helpful, so I guess I'mma keep on asking questions.

Oh yea, that rearend...I have no idea what is under there....I don't even know how to tell. I am assuming that it is stock because the guy never mentioned the rearend being swapped out, but I really don't think that a stock 4 banger rearend would hold the power of a 5.0, do you? I don't know, I am really shooting in the blind right now. Tell me how I can find out, and I will update you on what I find.

sorry, i did not understand what you were asking at first (i thought you did not know if you had an original 4 banger or if someone had dropped a V6 - a la 3.8L in there). oops.

the 8.8 and 7.5 rear have a different shape, as i recall. i would not know (it has been posted before).

wonder what trans you have too.

good luck with Stangenstein. :)

it still could have the 4cyl springs in it.mine had the 4cyl springs and 7.5 rear under it when i got it.it didn't sit very low or ride that bad.also the 7.5 will take abuse.i ran mine at the dragstrip a few times before i swapped it for an 8.8,it never came apart,i just wanted rear discs and posi.

Bigfootbuz said:
I have just joined up on this site and have asked a few questions regurading my 87 Stang. I was informed that when I bought the car, that is was a V-6 body style with a carburated 5.0 in it. But, I have also been told by a member of the site that there was no V-6 Mustang in 1987. So, my question is this: Is there any where to go without paying to look up the vin numbers on my car and find out for sure what it was originally? Well, I say without paying, I wouldn't mind paying like 20 bucks to find out, but anything more than that I would just drop the search. I really want to know though. Hit me up if you guys have any suggestions. Thanx...

Early Fox Mustangs were available with 6 cylinder engines. Starting in 1987 only 2.3L I4 and 5.0L V8 engines were available.

tjm73 said:
Early Fox Mustangs were available with 6 cylinder engines. Starting in 1987 only 2.3L I4 and 5.0L V8 engines were available.
Actually I have seen a 1993 Coupe with a V-6. Ford called it the SCC Edition. Didn't know it at the time but found out later it was the 94-95 V-6 drivetrain in the fox body. From what I found out there were a few hundred of the built and put out in the market for feild testing before the SN-95 body came out.

A pickup truck motor with a 4bbl intake and headers might be somewhere around 180 at the flywheel if you are lucky. No worries, if you plan to mod it, you can make any hp level that you want. Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

ratrapp said:
the 7.5 will take abuse.i ran mine at the dragstrip a few times before i swapped it for an 8.8,it never came apart,i just wanted rear discs and posi.
Believe it or not, the early V8 foxes (not sure what years, probably early 80's) came with the 7.5" rearend from the factory. I guess as they started getting more power out of the 302's in the later models they stepped it up to the 8.8 . I put the 8.8 in my car, because i don't think the 7.5 will take the power i was going to give it, not to mention, you know how hard it is to find 4.30 gears for a 7.5!?!?!?