4 banger to efi 5.0

• Sponsors (?)

there is acually a whole lot you have to change.i did my convesion in the back yard and it took three months(nights and weekends) to get it done.be ready to change every wire in the car front and rear suspesion,fuel lines,brake lines,hell i even had to change my windshield wiper motor.

it can be done quick if you have a couple of helpers, a lot of beer and a couple of weekends. Some stuff can stay for future mods.

-you can keep the 7.5 rear and brakes all around (for now)

-keep the 4 banger springs up front, work great for drag launching.

remove all the old 4 banger crap. You'll find that the 87+ cars were built from the factory to be a v8. once you remove the 4 banger crap, the v8 and trans bolt right up to the existing k member and frame with no mods at all.

if it's an aero car, all the wiring under the dash back to the rear can stay. (the four eyed cars need to be swapped out or modified) simply plug in the engine harness and cpu/harness from the v8 donor into the 4 banger harness, and you're ready to go.

pull the old 4 banger efi lines, and simply swap on the v8 lines, using screws. I think the gas tank and pump are ok from the 4 banger, but you'll have to drop the tank anyhow to connect the lines, so you may as well keep swap in the v8 tank.

If you're out of time, the 4 banger brakes and rear will work just fine for now. However, I'd def plan on swapping the brakes and rear in the near future.

also, swap in the v8 steering rack, it's much better.

I'll probably get blasted for saying this in the 5.0 forum, but...

It may be cheaper and easier to do a 2.3 Turbo conversion.

Sure the potential power level may not be as high as a v8, but most street v8s don't usually pass 350-400hp either.

Just throwing it out there as an option. I am considering this over a v8 conversion in my 2.3 LX.

jason

v8only said:
it can be done quick if you have a couple of helpers, a lot of beer and a couple of weekends. Some stuff can stay for future mods.

-you can keep the 7.5 rear and brakes all around (for now)

-keep the 4 banger springs up front, work great for drag launching.

remove all the old 4 banger crap. You'll find that the 87+ cars were built from the factory to be a v8. once you remove the 4 banger crap, the v8 and trans bolt right up to the existing k member and frame with no mods at all.

if it's an aero car, all the wiring under the dash back to the rear can stay. (the four eyed cars need to be swapped out or modified) simply plug in the engine harness and cpu/harness from the v8 donor into the 4 banger harness, and you're ready to go.

pull the old 4 banger efi lines, and simply swap on the v8 lines, using screws. I think the gas tank and pump are ok from the 4 banger, but you'll have to drop the tank anyhow to connect the lines, so you may as well keep swap in the v8 tank.

If you're out of time, the 4 banger brakes and rear will work just fine for now. However, I'd def plan on swapping the brakes and rear in the near future.

also, swap in the v8 steering rack, it's much better.
so your saying i can use the 4 banger transmission or i cant, and also if it is an 87-93 i can just swap in the engine and cpu harnesses

poorracer said:
so your saying i can use the 4 banger transmission or i cant, and also if it is an 87-93 i can just swap in the engine and cpu harnesses

The 4 cyl trans will work. They are rated for less torque than the v8 models and have different gear ratios. Many (myself included) have seen the 4 cyl trans handle modified 302s quite well. The thing to watch for is the input shaft. Pilot bearing diameter and shaft length did vary. Here is a site that lists the production combos.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/T5ID.htm

I'll let someone experienced with the computer part of the conversion answer on that.

as long as it is the manual (and not auto) the manual 4 banger trannies can be used as mentioned.

I helped a buddy transform his 89 4 banger notch into a v8. He did use the v8 computer, engine wiring harness, and cpu harness. Dash harness, and everything beyond that can stay.

Really, this entire swap is quite easy. However, it's labor and time extensive. AS long as you're handy with a wrench, and hardcore determined, and won't give up, this swap can be done in 2-4 weekends no problem with help.

ok i talked to the guy just now, he has a 90 (i believe) notch, ex-4cylinder, the body is pretty clean, and he already put a 8.8 rearend on it, he wants $500 for it , he said he could make it a driver for $1500. would that be a good deal, it would be a 5.0 with a t-5 or an auto

poorracer said:
ok i talked to the guy just now, he has a 90 (i believe) notch, ex-4cylinder, the body is pretty clean, and he already put a 8.8 rearend on it, he wants $500 for it , he said he could make it a driver for $1500. would that be a good deal, it would be a 5.0 with a t-5 or an auto

looks like you're gonna buy a car that someone else has converted?? $1500 is a great deal if it's been done right. Personally, I wouldn't trust most peoples work. the 4 to 8 conversion has a LOT of little stuff, and it would be real easy for someone to do a hackjob on it, and you'll wind up with a basket case. check it over carefully. Don't do the auto, trust me.

I put an explorer engine into my vert. the explorer engines have the newer distributorless ob2 computer systems. It requires a FULL conversion, meaning different oil pan, sender, different cam, valve springs, and you have to use the mustang fuel rails, computer, distributor, timing chain cover, accessories, and wiring. It's a LOT of ****ing work. There is a lot of info on this, and you can't just jump into it. spend a lot of time on the search button.

an auto computer will work fine on a 5 speed, but not the other way around. when getting the harness, doessn't mat if it's from a 5 speed or aod, same harness.

also, when getting a parts car vs the car you're gonna fix up, you want relatively close years, for example, engine harnesses will swap between 87-89 cars, but a 90+ engine harness I "believe" is not a direct swap onto the 87-89 cars. you'll have to do your homework there.