4 banger tranny to 302??

Update

well, i finally broke the tranny....lol...but it was wierd. 3rd gear went all of a sudden, and then bout a week later, got 3rd back and lost 4th.???? seems wierd to me, then another week, lost both 3rd and 4th....still confused on that one. but since, put another tranny in and works like a charm. and yes, its another 4 cyl tranny(all i had at the moment). but when i put the tranny in, i just removed the bolts from the tranny to bell and pulled it out that way, then slid the new tranny in and put the bolts back... didn't have a prob. but is it ok to pull a tranny like that? never done it before like that so i figured i'd ask you guys. thanx

p.s, here's a pic of my gt and my lx

Attachments

• Picture011.jpg
    Picture011.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Picture050.jpg
    Picture050.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Sponsors (?)

Perfectly ok to swap a trany from the rear of the bell...it's really a waste of time to remove the bell if you're not playing with the clutch. We swap T5s with floor jacks this way in a half hour...no kidding.

input shaft tapers down smaller in front where the pilot bearing is and behind the splines that run thru the clutch disc it also tapers down smaller than the V8 trannys , but has a larger bearing and different bearing retainer in the front ......the gears are lower first , second and third gears ....as for holding power , my friend is cutting 1.70 and 1.80 60fts with his and running 7.70s consistently on nitrous and this car sees 10 launches on slicks every weekend since july of this year ......so I would say unless you are a moron driving one they should hold their own on a street car ........

Anthony85stang said:
A 4cyl tranny has a cast case and an 8 cyl tranny has an aluminum case i belive the 4 cyl ones have lower gears in them ive had a 4cyl tranny in my car for a year and i launch and 3500-4000 with slicks and i havent had a problem

Both 4cyl and 8cyl have Al cases. Maybe I just misread that?

Here is a link to the rangerstation t5 id page for all of the gearing differences questions.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/T5ID.htm

The t5 is not the first time Ford has over/under rated it factory equipment. I am sure we all remember a cetain Cobra that had to be recalled for some exhaust work in order to meet the advertised hp numbers. On the on the other end of the spectrum, another cobra came from the factory wich nearly made at the tires what ford advertised at the flywheel. Factory ratings are not always precise. In the case of the T5, my experience has been that they are seriously UNDER rated.
My friend bought a 4cyl trans with 175k miles for $25. He ran that on his 3.55 geared mustang with h/c/i for almost 2 years, beating the crap out of the car everychance he had. He will street race most anyone. I bought the tranny from him a year ago, so I could take it apart for a class project. There was no visible damage to anything inside that case. He did use the stock shifter as well.
I have been running my stock 90 GT t5 with 210k miles on a 408w stroker for the last ~25k miles. I have had no problems with the tranny yet.
My point being that the ratings for the t5's are a little low, which was probably done by the factory to improve durability (higher margin of safety).
my thoughts
jason

A 4cyl tranny has a cast case

Nope mine has a aluminum case!

We used a '78 Mazda pickup truck pilot bearing

yep same one I use! The bearing number is listed in my Sig! BCA bearings can be cross referenced to other brands if you ask your local parts counter guy. ( I know because my dad use to own a Carquest parts store).

the 1991 (i think) and up 4 cylinder t-5's are considered world class (just as their V-8 brethern)and are a little stronger than previous years. I installed mine over a year ago an haven't ran into any serious problems with it. Its even been power shifted serveral times. Although my car is basically stock...........They look nearly identical from the outside of the case, the only difference is the input shaft and bearing retainer. I will be changing mine out soon though. BUT I will be keeping a spare pilot bearing and this old cheap 4 banger trans.....for a "get by" spare! My advice to anyone out there is to keep a spare 4 banger tranny as a spare, so if you do have problems with your V-8 trans, and dont have the time to fix it and need to ride.......there is a simple and cheap solution, till you get the good one fixed!
Jack

I don't think the t5 is a weak transmission. It was designed for what it was designed for. The stock 5.0L and more room for abuse. If we are to complain about why Ford made such a weak tranny, then don't complain when they charge you more when you purchase the car. Do you think we should all (soccer mom's included) drive a g-force backed car? IMO nope.

The 4cylinder tranny is weaker but it works just fine.

well after reading this thread I literally went straight out the door and picked a 4 banger T5. What exact pilot bearing do I need? And because of the different gear ratio in this tranny...what will it make my car feel like with 2.73s? what about after I toss in my 3.73s?

Dean85GT said:
and I take it the shifters are the same in both trannys and what not.......

All the shifter stuff is the same far as I know. Only possible difference would be in materials. Doubt it though.

From the above posts...
There seems to be some confusion on what the t5 cases are made out of.

It is an Aluminum Casting. All of them are. This is opposed to a cast iron Casting or an Aluminum Billet? I don't know how the confusion started, but it seems like a terminology issue.

All t5 cases are made from aluminum castings.
So, yes they are cast housings.
And, yes they are aluminum housings.

my 79 fox came with a cast iron either 4 speed or 5 speed (dont really remember) but it was cast iron! thats why I said that the only T-5's I had ran across were aluminum. Never know what you will find lol
Jack

shifters are the same, only input shaft diameter and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears are a different ratio. Not much but just slightly different. With that being the case the cluster gear is a different ratio to match the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears being different. Oh and 5th gear is slightly higher geared as well. everything else is the same as far as i remember. You use same shifter, same bellhousing as V-8 T-5, same trans crossmember, same speedo cable, same reverse switches, same driveshaft, and same rear main seal. In fact the rebuild bearing kit is nearly identical in world class applications. As our local shop rebuilt one once for a customer. Thats why I know everything would work! :)
Jack

jackchan said:
my 79 fox came with a cast iron either 4 speed or 5 speed (dont really remember) but it was cast iron! thats why I said that the only T-5's I had ran across were aluminum. Never know what you will find lol
Jack

A cast iron transmission case? I would hate to have to swap that out, that would be heavy.
I am very curious as to whether or not that is a t5 though
jason