4 bolt main or girdle??

ericsvt

Sep 1, 2004
Socal
Im building a 347 stroker but i dont know if i should convert the block into a 4 bolt main or should i just get a girdle. What would make the block stronger if any. How much do u guys think it will cost to convert the block to 4 bolt main i can get the kit for $80

• Sponsors (?)

to install 4 bolt mains on 3 mains is usaly 350-450 depending on splayed or not, where you get it done, plus a line bore charge. Not all blocks have the meat to put them in though.

IMO main cap girdles on blocks that are not fully skirted (like a SBF) are worthless, but tons of people swear by them. But then again 1/2 the people you meet are below average intellegence

converted 4 bolt mains and block girdles will not prevent the block splitting down the middle. limit is 500rwhp.

Go new Boss 302 block due out early this year good to 1200hp, R302 block good to 1500hp, Dart sportsmen good to 1200hp or the big dog Dart Iron eagle good to 2000hp.

u can also find used A4's or R302's.

There was a brand new never fired R337ci blower motor with eagle 4340 internals, neutral balanced, AFR 225's and spyder EFI intake for $7500 on nmraracing.com.