4 cyl. conversion ?'s

moneypit94

May 23, 2003
Macomb, IL
I have a S/C 418 motor that i bought on the way and i really don't feel like taking my 331 out of my 94. I know where i can get a 89 4 cyl for like 150 dollars.

I know that i would have to get a computer and wiring harness for this engine is fuel injected. The question is which one?

Also The tranny would either have to go or Can it be rebuilt? Somebody I talked to said that they used the same t-5 in a 4 cyl but with weaker gears.. Would a G-Force kit work in it?

What should i do about the rear end? Im looking for cheap but effective ways to put this car together...

• Sponsors (?)

Any fox body mass air (89-93) wiring harness will work. Just get the whole engine harness and computer out of a wrecked mass air car. Then you swap motor mounts, clutch, bellhousing, clutch fork, tranny crossmember, get some 86-93 headers with O2 sensor provisions, O2 sensors, mass air meter, air filter, fuel lines, and maybe some misc parts and you will have a driving car. I know that you can use the 4cyl tranny if you have to, but of course it is rated at like only 150hp. It will hold up for a while if you don't abuse it or have a lot of power. I believe that the cases are the same and if you were to opt for the whole g-force kit, then it "might" work. You would be best off to just give them a call and ask them because they would know for sure. If you do a search on 4cyl swaps you will find a lot of good info also.

you have to swap engine with motor mounts, tranny, clutch cable, throttle linkage, vaccum distributor(next to wiper motor), complete harness including headlight(harness inside will work), map sensor, exhaust, 89 or 90 to 93 mustangs(4cyl./5.0) have double hump crossmember, fuel lines(running from tank to engine, brake lines, running from rear to master cylinder. basicalling what ever is on 5.0 has to be changed except brakes and rear end(could do later)