4 cyl spings good for the track?

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
ive heard around that people swap out the stock v8 spings for the 4 cyl ones. softer and allow more weight transfer.

just wondering if it makes much difference and if it makes the car feel too much softer.

• Sponsors (?)

It does make a difference. The 4 banger springs really are not sufficient for the wieght of the 5.0L so is it smart for a street car???? Well that debatable. For a track car they would be good. I'm sure many run them on the street with no problems but i guarentee that a 5.0L with 4 banger springs doesn't handle as well as ones with the proper springs.

I have the 4cyl springs in my notch. The car handles beautiful on the street. I have no complaints. The weight transfer is good, and the car looks great. The front end is very low. It rides great on the freeway and takes the corners great!

I have the 4cyl springs in my notch. The car handles beautiful on the street. I have no complaints. The weight transfer is good, and the car looks great. The front end is very low. It rides great on the freeway and takes the corners great!

Hey man...Do you have any pics of the notch ? Did you cut the springs at all or take out the spring isolaters?

have 4 banger springs in my 89 notch and it only sees the track but my 86 has drag lonch springs and my 86 sit to high in the front and does not react like my notch yes the 4 bager springs are worth it my notch runs low tens by the way front wheels in the air about 12 inches

have 4 banger springs in my 89 notch and it only sees the track but my 86 has drag lonch springs and my 86 sit to high in the front and does not react like my notch yes the 4 bager springs are worth it my notch runs low tens by the way front wheels in the air about 12 inches

Damn buddy....that was the hardest sentence i have ever read! we need to work on your sentence structure and grammar a little!!!
Poster: Yes, the 4 cyl springs will definately help weight transfer. But they will not improve traction as much as a good set of U&L control arms. If you plan to make the car a dedicated strip car then go for it...but if you ever want to carve corners then i would spend my money elsewhere.

how much traction would i gain what sort of 60foots would i be capable of U/L arms, good adjustable shocks for the rearend and some sort of spring?
i already have SFCs and just bought some new track wheels and tires.

my bro still has 4 banger springs in this conversion and i think the ride is horrible, it bottoms out super easy and the handling is really sloppy in my opinion. His car even has rear upper and lower control arms replaced.... The worst thing has to be the braking though.... his brake drive is absolutely horrible. All you get is nose dive, tire smoke and lots of sliding....

I had 4 banger springs in my last Mustang, lots of weight transfer and the ride was soft, real soft. Also my height wasn't that much lower than stock (but my car weighed hardly anything). Of course I did remove the sway bar up front. I wouldn't do that to my current notch, I plan on Eibach springs to lower it and some sticky tires and good aftermarket control arms for traction (battery is also in the trunk).

here are pics of my previous hatch with 4 banger springs...

normal_fox1.jpg

Album here, big photos too: http://stevegiard.com/media/thumbnails.php?album=10

I ran the 4 banger springs on the fron tof my Gt for a couple of years. I even cut a coil off to lower more. Pair them up with 50/50 shocks, and they worked great. I also had no front sway bar, 3.5" Welds and a drained p/s rack. ran it like this on the street for a couple years. This WAS a daily driver I might add. Yes, it was not an ideal setup for a street car, but I had no problems at all, and will run a similar setup when I buy another car!