4 Cyl To V8 Conversion

• Sponsors (?)

I'd just be too concerned about stuff that was wrong that I couldn't see, or electrical demons to chase down... etc... also it's a much tougher sell if you want to part ways with it.
Good advice.

Just about the only useable thing in common with 4 cylinder Mustangs and 5.0 Mustangs was the body, steering wheel and some electrical items like the radio, heater blower. and map light...

See What exactly do I need to convert mine to 5.0 | Mustang Forums at StangNet to get an idea of the magnitude of this project, and the number of places a second owner can get burned if the guy or guys that did the swap didn't do a good job.

Last edited:
My car is a conversion, but I would probably never buy one. I did mine myself. Looking at all the sweat and blood that I put into it, I wouldn't trust that anyone else would have done the same. Now if it was the right price and I were looking at it as a project car, then I might consider. If you are still interested, here are a couple of things I would look into.

The brakes - the 4 cylinder has smaller brakes. Check to see if they swapped to the larger rotor.
The fuel lines - fuel line routing is different on the 2.3 vs the 5.0. I'd get under the car and make sure things were connected/routed safely.
The rear axle - make sure they swapped the 7.5" to an 8.8"
Transmission - you didn't mention if it was a 5 speed or auto. If a 5-speed make sure its for a 5.0L. The 4 cylinder transmission will bolt up.

Those are the big things, but there could be lots of little things that can cause issues down the road. If the price is right and you don't mind working on stuff, then I'd consider it. But if you are looking for something ready to drive and don't want any headaches, you might want to steer clear.

There are a ton of things to think about.

Is it a fuel injection car or carb? It's common for jim bob to just toss whatever motor they find at a junk yard in a blown up 4 banger car and call it a 5.0.

Price is huge, unless it's super nice or super super cheap I'd be weary .

Post some photos and price. Where did the v8 come from? What mods does it have?

I wouldn't shy away from buying one but I don't mind wrenching on them tonfix all the little things. A test drive, compression check will tell you lots. If you are familiar with a 5.0 motor and are comfortable with it then I don't see the issue.

I like a previous 4cyl car because it isn't beat on like a 5.0 is or was. Not too many brake stands on a 4 cyl and the torque on a 4cyl would barely tweak a cereal box let alone a torque box.