4 cylinder spring and rearend question

Ok I'm conveting a 4 banger to a 5.0. I've searched the forums and found out that the front 4 cyl. springs will be fine and seems pretty popular but how about the rear springs- 4cyl., v8, or how much to cut, i just want it to level out cause we know how the rear jacks up with the 4 cyl. springs. Also with the rearend will the 4 banger one be alright, and can u get a kit to make it limited slip, cause thats what i want, and also what gears to match the 4 cyl. 5 speed. Thanks in advance!!

• Sponsors (?)

I had a 7.5 in my 80 mustang a few years back with a c4. It was a full posi unit. Personally it's great for racing and smoking tires but for the street I think a limited slip is better, thats what was in my 92 gt with 3.73s and i liked it. Kinda want the same setup but with the 7.5. But thanks for the input

ok. 4cyl and v8 rear springs are the same so it wouldn't matter. it WILL have a raked stance if you don't cut a coil off the rear though. the 7.5 rearend will work and it probably has an open leg 3.73 rear being an original 5 speed car. personally, i'd go pick up an 8.8 from a salvage yard for less than $100 rather than mess with a 7.5. a V8 clutch will work with the 4cyl T5, the only physical difference in a V8 and 4cyl T5 is the 4cyl T5 input shaft has a smaller diameter snout so you'll need a different pilot bearing. everyon here always says you need one from like an 80's ford ranger or something. you need a 157 tooth flywheel, not sure what all came with one aside from v8 stangs. hope i answered all your questions.

Thanks! Now did all v8 8.8 rear mustangs come as a limited slip? Do u think cutting 1 round off the rear springs will level it out? I don't wanna take off too much. Sorry for all the questions the only other swap i did was from a wrecked 5.0 into a 4 banger and was simple cause everything was there. This is being built on a tight budget and must be done by april. But anyway thanks for the info:nice:

Thanks! Now did all v8 8.8 rear mustangs come as a limited slip? Do u think cutting 1 round off the rear springs will level it out? I don't wanna take off too much. Sorry for all the questions the only other swap i did was from a wrecked 5.0 into a 4 banger and was simple cause everything was there. This is being built on a tight budget and must be done by april. But anyway thanks for the info:nice:

it's cool man, that's what this board is here for! yes, all 8.8's came factory with limited slip. gear ratio's vary though. i think 1 coil would level it off pretty well. regardless, i wouldn't cut more than 1 coil off just to keep your shocks intact.

it's cool man, that's what this board is here for! yes, all 8.8's came factory with limited slip. gear ratio's vary though. i think 1 coil would level it off pretty well. regardless, i wouldn't cut more than 1 coil off just to keep your shocks intact.

Minor correction: All Mustang 8.8's came with LSD. The 8.8's found in Rangers, Panther cars, MN12's, and Fox Cougar/T-Bird/Mark VII cars were usually open diffs, although some had LSD optional. Best bet for an LSD rear would be in an LSC Mark VII, T-Bird TurboCoupe, or some random Rangers and Panthers. Just something to keep in mind when hunting the 'yards for a rear end.

Minor correction: All Mustang 8.8's came with LSD. The 8.8's found in Rangers, Panther cars, MN12's, and Fox Cougar/T-Bird/Mark VII cars were usually open diffs, although some had LSD optional. Best bet for an LSD rear would be in an LSC Mark VII, T-Bird TurboCoupe, or some random Rangers and Panthers. Just something to keep in mind when hunting the 'yards for a rear end.

yeah that's what i meant, all stang 8.8's had LSD's. i'm not sure on other cars though.

Thanks guys, I have a tbird with LSD but i don't wanna have to cut it cause its too wide, may just play with the 7.5 for now Thanks!!

you don't have to cut it! use it! it should only be 3/4" wider per side so it'll actually look better because it'll move the wheel out more and line it up with the fender lip a lot better. i may be thinking of sn95 rears though, but i think the same applies for the tbird rears.

you don't have to cut it! use it! it should only be 3/4" wider per side so it'll actually look better because it'll move the wheel out more and line it up with the fender lip a lot better. i may be thinking of sn95 rears though, but i think the same applies for the tbird rears.

This is true, i have a TC rearend in my car and my 275/45/17's line right up with the outside of the little flare on the fender. I had to beat the lip in, but that wasnt a big job.

Will the controlarms and shocks line up from the t-bird. Also I'll be running standard 8 inch draglights not decided on tire size yet, but just want to know if they'll still tuck in under the rear quarters and not scrub. And again thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming. And please anyone with pics of their car with 4 cyl. springs or wider rearends please post them for me to see, it'll help a lot, Thanks!!

The 4cyl springs work great. My notch rides excellent with 104K 4 cyl springs and my 5.0L 5 speed. The rear sits up a tad higher than most of you fox guys...27-1/2". If you cut a part of a coil...you can get a great ride height. My front is perfect.....IMO. I can barely get two fingers between the front fender and the tire. (245-45-R17)

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x258/svt32vdohc/NotchandGT500008.jpg

That's a badass car man, I've always wanted a black coupe but around here they're hard to find. Was it originally a 4 cyl. car? It looks clean. Thinkin about going black with my hatch, but only if i find a good deal on a saleen rear wing. It;s white now, but still looks alright, just plain. But thanks for the pic, you've got a good looking car. Keep them coming.