4 Months and 120 more hp, N/A, nice!

lman657

Aug 31, 2003
Hey guys!

Project Dead star is done and I couldn't be more happy!

Anyways, this summer I decided to spend some of my summer's pay on a PI headswap kit... Then I added some MAC L/T headers, I ported the heads by myself, and Finally installed all of this over christmas break.

I ended up adding a Centerforce clutch, mac prochamber, 24# injectors, C&L Plenum and 80mm MAF, coupled to an accufab 75mm TB.

To top it off and blow ALL my summer's pay, i decided to go with some Comp Cams XE270AH PI grinds and beehive springs. Now, I called comp to make sure these cams would clear with my compression ratio being increased via the headswap. "I don't know buddy, you'll have to figure that one out for yourself." Quite the service...I should have gone to VTEngines the second he told me that, but being the stubborn one I am, i decided to stick with Comp. So, I figured, these cams will clear, plenty of guys use these cams with a headswap.

Well, the engine is all together, and i turn the crank over twice to make sure it all clears. Yep, it does. Well, turns out that the new lifters had never been pumped up, and weren't forcing the valves to make full lift. I start the engine, and it makes a lot of valvetrain noise. We figure that perhaps the taller cam is a bit more noisy, and drive it for a while. Well, the knocking gets worse, and we finally pull the engine apart.

Apparently, when the lifters pumped up, the intake valves made their full lift, and put a nice divot in all 8 cylinders. Well crap, my first ever engine work besides changing a carb on a 67 stang, and comp screws me! I had three valve guides break off, fragment, and beat the pistons and heads all to crap. By some miracle, the cylinder walls were all untouched, even though the pistons got so beat up that the ring lands were collapsed. It was timed correctly, I quadruble checked before and after the fact.

So, I pull out the engine, tear it apart, and deliver the disassembled engine to the local napa machine shop. Jack, the guy who runs the show, called comp and told them my plight. "Yeah, we've had that happen on some of the romeo blocks" This may have been useful information before the fact, but, rage aside, it's already happened. It took boring the block, 8 Intake valves, 8 valve guides, three exhaust valves, and new pistons with fly-cut valve reliefs to get everything restored and still enable running the Comps. I've also got a custom burned chip coming from Dynosources in washington, an excellent company. Finally.

I got the newly balanced engine together two weeks ago, and spent most every school night up till 1 or 2 in the morning trying to reach my goal, get it running by april 30 for my birthday, a present to me.

I refused to let anyone help me with the project, be it my dad or a technically defunct friend, and had a great time doing it by myself. In all from beginning of headswap to putting the rebuilt engine in, I estimate i've put in 100 hours. It was a frustrating experience, but very satifying, and I learned a lot. I'm shooting to break into the automotive field after college, so this has, in the long run, been a rewarding experience.

I got it running tuesday night, and it's ran excellent for 250 miles, a good sign!

In the end, I've got a huge bill, a large base of knowledge, and a mustang that runs like a raped ape, sweet! And hey, if anyone's looking for a sweet running 1999 Honda CR250 w/ a ported cylinder head, shoot me a PM, it's gotta go!

It's fun knowing that I saved about five thousand dollars in mechanic's labor by doing it myself, like i got to cheat the system.

I think i am more proud of myself in doing and completing the project than i am exited driving it! Not bad for a 17 year old high schooler eh?

I also found a scret to keeping one's self motivated in working on their mustang. Tape the car's keys to the top of your bathroom mirror, and write in big permanent marker "MUSTANG" so nobody can wash it off.

I'd like to thank y'all on this forum for the help, advice, and inspiration for this project.

Now i've gotta find a dyno!

Thanks,
Lance

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys,

We've got a track about 30 miles away from here, and i'm definitely going to hit it as soon as they open the season again. Hopefully I can hit low 13's on 9" street tires??

Later
Lance