4 point Harnes

dmann253

Jul 18, 2004
Hey guys i am getting into the final stages of getting my II on the road for everyday driving. My seat belts are toast so i was wondering if anyone knows where to get some replacments. or i just bought some nice racing seats i was thinking about putting in a 4 point harnes. I would mount it to the floor because my car is a daily driver and i dont want a roll bar in it. I have been warned that attaching it to the floor is not that safe but again it is a daily driver with a 4 cyl so i dont think i would be getting into any high speed crashes. Does anyone have any opinions about the 4 point harneses? I am still learning about cars and i dont know alot about stuff like this i would like to be safe if i wreck, it seems like alot of people do the 4 point harnes to the floor without any problems so i dont know.

I also want to add a little more power to the 4cyl i cant afford the insurence on a v8 so the 4cyl needs to stay what is the best power adders for the 2.3? i am adding a electric fan and after i smog it everything smog related is coming off. any other ideas, i was thinking a new carb/intake and a header.

Any advice would be nice Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like your on the right track. start diggin in!!
and add a camshaft to that list of goodies!
bigger exhaust all the way back to. since its the size of a drinking straw.

If you want to bolt your harness to the floor, at the very least get some3x3 or 4x4 metal plates to take up some more surface area on the floorboard. Better yet why not bolt to the original lap belt locations. As far as increased power, advancing the timing belt will give you more low end hp ( less on the top end though ) I have done this and it works.

Buy a kit from Summit, Jegs, etc. they come with mounting hardware. When I had mine I used the factory mounts for the lap belt. I mounted the shoulder harness to the hatch floor above the axil, which is about half way up your back.

From what the safety inspectors at the SCCA told me is that if the shoulder harness is mounted to the floor behind the seat (in effect looping over you), in a front collision your lower body mass will rise and compress your spine. If mounted at shoulder level, your spine will not compress in a front inpact, you will slide forward and down, which is why the crotch belt was created so you don't slide forward, down and out.

Also when wearing the lap and shoulder harness, from my esperience, all the dash controls are unreachable, unless you loosen the shoulder belts each time you need to adjust something.

Dave

If you want to bolt your harness to the floor, at the very least get some3x3 or 4x4 metal plates to take up some more surface area on the floorboard. Better yet why not bolt to the original lap belt locations. As far as increased power, advancing the timing belt will give you more low end hp ( less on the top end though ) I have done this and it works.

i would go with the plates.