4-speed questions?

Sims6986

Feb 26, 2004
Indy
I have an 86 302 out of a lincoln that was fuel injected in my 70 mustang. It also had an auto backing it up. I pulled all the fuel injection off and sold it, the car will be carbed. My question is will a 4-speed bolt up? What has to be changed if anything on the engine? I want a cable operated tranny, which ones can I use?
Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks
A.J.

• Sponsors (?)

You need a new distributor to use with carb. The EFI distributor has no spark advance mechanism. The 85 Mustang GT 5 speed has a suitable Duraspark distributor with a steel gear compatible with the roller camshaft. The EFI ignition depends on the EFI sensors to advance the spark. Rip out the TPS and MAP/Baro sensors and the computer will have no idea of the proper ignition timing for best performance. Running a fixed timing setting is only for test purposes or for a race track only car. Don't try it on the street: the results will not be nearly as good as a properly setup Durspark or equal. Crane makes a really nice distributor for non-EFI applications. . See http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&lvl=4&prt=127 for more information.

Cable operated trnsmission? Do you mean cable operated clutch?