4-speed questions.

Sims6986

Feb 26, 2004
Indy
I have an 86 302 out of a lincoln that was fuel injected in my 70 mustang. It also had an auto backing it up. I pulled all the fuel injection off and sold it, the car will be carbed. My question is will a 4-speed bolt up? What has to be changed if anything on the engine? I want a cable operated clutch. What vehicle can I take the 4-speed from?
Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks
A.J.

• Sponsors (?)

There were 4 speeds as options in almost every Ford and Merc cars and trucks in the 60's and 70's. And also in the Stangs and Capri's into the mid 80's. Depends on what you can still find really. The 60's to mid 70's 4 speed transmissions for cars were the nearly bullit proof Toploader's. The late 70's saw this reincarnated as an overdrive 3+1 four speed (3 speed plus an overdrive 4th) This was again morphed into the Mustang/Capri SROD transmission (all aluminum case and tail with an integral shifting mechanism) If you want a Toploader 4 speed, you'll likely have to piece together what you need, it's not a likely item to find today in a junkyard. You'd have better luck finding it in a local "backyard" or "barn" find in a complete donor car.