4 speed swap leak

Hey guys, a few years back i had a 4 speed toploader put in place of my 3 speed. The transmission is awesome, however i think that the tail of the 3 speed was a bit longer than the 4 and the yoke doesn't quite go as far in as it could. I'm guessing this is where my oil leak is coming from? Is there a rear seal on the tranny that might fix this? What about a different yoke? How many splines does it have? Do they make one a bit longer or is getting a completely new driveshaft the only option? I don't have any information on the 4 speed, someone found it at a salvage yard. Thanks for any input!

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with Dark Knights assessment. Unbolt from the rear and slide in, you should have between 1/2 to 1 inch of slide in room. If you have more than 1 inch IIRC that's too much. If you're ok there, you're loosing the seal.

All you probably need is a fresh rear seal. Get one and then do the depth check when you go to replace it.

While you are checking for depth, also try to wiggle the shaft up and down and left to right to determine if the tailshaft bushing is bad. Excess slop will lead to leaks. The tailshaft housing would have to be dropped if this is the case.

dennis112 said:
All you probably need is a fresh rear seal. Get one and then do the depth check when you go to replace it.

While you are checking for depth, also try to wiggle the shaft up and down and left to right to determine if the tailshaft bushing is bad. Excess slop will lead to leaks. The tailshaft housing would have to be dropped if this is the case.

Same here for what it is worth.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com