4 speed transmission dilemma.

Ok, just bought a rebuilt 2.3L, roller cam, 4 speed manual, intake, carb, manifolds, ignition system for 200 bucks. It was all out of a scrapped 77 Pinto (except the extra roller cam). I figured that the transmission would fit into my capri (it's the standard ET type 4 speed) but it does not. The transmission itself is 100% identical to what I actually need, it is the tailshaft that is the problem. The mouting holes and position are TOTALLY different on this transmission than what I need. So I have a 2 part dilemma here. I need to get rid of a 77ET Pinto 4 speed and pick up a 79-86ET 4 speed out of a mustang or capri. Being that this is a 2.3L forum, I'm wondering what to do here. Are there any of you that would need a Pinto 4 speed or know of someone that does? Do any of you have a 4 speed out of a capri or mustang that I can buy from you? Or know where I can get one? Any help would be great. I'd like to see the Pinto transmission go to a good home and I'd like to by a mustang/capri 4 speed from someone trustworthy (unlike most of EBay).

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, just bought a rebuilt 2.3L, roller cam, 4 speed manual, intake, carb, manifolds, ignition system for 200 bucks. It was all out of a scrapped 77 Pinto (except the extra roller cam). I figured that the transmission would fit into my capri (it's the standard ET type 4 speed) but it does not. The transmission itself is 100% identical to what I actually need, it is the tailshaft that is the problem. The mouting holes and position are TOTALLY different on this transmission than what I need. So I have a 2 part dilemma here. I need to get rid of a 77ET Pinto 4 speed and pick up a 79-86ET 4 speed out of a mustang or capri. Being that this is a 2.3L forum, I'm wondering what to do here. Are there any of you that would need a Pinto 4 speed or know of someone that does? Do any of you have a 4 speed out of a capri or mustang that I can buy from you? Or know where I can get one? Any help would be great. I'd like to see the Pinto transmission go to a good home and I'd like to by a mustang/capri 4 speed from someone trustworthy (unlike most of EBay).

Why not just pick up a T5 out of a 4 banger mustang and run that, its a better tranny, 5 speed, and probably easier to find. That said, I DO have a ford 2.3 4 speed, but i don't know what it came out of, or what condition its in. Do You have have the transmission number that you need? I can check and see if this transmission matches.

Dr.

Well, I'd like to keep my Capri as close to origonal as it would be. Also, I really don't need overdrive since I won't be taking it more than 20 miles from home here on trips (this area is very suburban so going over 65 is quite a rarity). I find the old german 4 speeds to be kind of unique and a good reliable transmission. Maybe at some point I'll switch to a T5, but for now I'd like a 4 speed ET transmission. I'm going to see if perchance someone has one local to me, but if not, I'll have to fan out my search. I know of a 79 Ghia in a junkyard with one, but I have no idea if the transmission is mechanically any good and since it's a u-pull-it, it would be hard to get (the car is on the ground). I'd rather spend more and get one that I know works.