4 States Later...

[Twitch]

Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
...and dodging many State troopers:p(why do you have have so many on the road:p) I finally got my hands on my VT Stage 1 N/A Cams:D I headed down to Virginia to pick them up instead of shipping it to Canada, saving alot in UPS shipping fees.

I was lucky to order the last one in stock and it's on special, 10% off, so 535$ instead of 595$.:nice:

My Anderson Ford Cam chain retenetion tool is on order already and should arrive next week. Hopefully, the cams will be in next weekend:)

• Sponsors (?)

i'm curious where you bought them from? Did you pick them up from the company that makes them for VT? Why couldn't Scott/Jim just mail them from their house since they live in Canada...wouldn't that make things easier for you Canadien guys?

DropTopPony said:
i'm curious where you bought them from? Did you pick them up from the company that makes them for VT? Why couldn't Scott/Jim just mail them from their house since they live in Canada...wouldn't that make things easier for you Canadien guys?

I ordered them directly from VT Engines and shipped them to my cousins house here in Virginia, he's getting married today so thats the reason I'm down here.

As for shipping, it only costed 9$ to ship to Virginia, thats it, no additional fees. If I got it shipped by UPS to Canda, it would have costed me 22$ plus additionnal UPS "duty" fees to cross the border and no one knows how that works. Let's just say it's expensive, on a 200$ item shipped by UPS to Canada, I have to pay 50$ "duty" fees ontop of the shipping:shrug: , so imagine for 535$. Oh, BTW, the cams for US is 595$ on the VT online store, but if you switch it to the Canadian version, it's 65$.

[Twitch] said:
I ordered them directly from VT Engines and shipped them to my cousins house here in Virginia, he's getting married today so thats the reason I'm down here.

As for shipping, it only costed 9$ to ship to Virginia, thats it, no additional fees. If I got it shipped by UPS to Canda, it would have costed me 22$ plus additionnal UPS "duty" fees to cross the border and no one knows how that works. Let's just say it's expensive, on a 200$ item shipped by UPS to Canada, I have to pay 50$ "duty" fees ontop of the shipping:shrug: , so imagine for 535$. Oh, BTW, the cams for US is 595$ on the VT online store, but if you switch it to the Canadian version, it's 65$.

I hated UPS customs fees. Naturally, you have to pay duty on the parts as they enter Canada just as you would any other item. UPS though, hires a 3rd party to pay those duty fees for you, and then they tack on a COD to your package to cover the fees PLUS a $40 fee for the "convenience" of having the 3rd party pay the duty fees. When you get the package, you have to pay the COD before they will give it to you.

I had a $20 item shipped to me and I had to pay another $45 to pay for duty and the fee for them to pay the duty for me.. I will never ship UPS to Canada again unless it's a gift or not worth anything..

Riley

When you Canadiens order parts from VT you should call them and discuss shipping...they work in the US but live in Canada. I don't see why they couldn't bring stuff home with them then mail it and bypass the added fees...

DropTopPony said:
When you Canadiens order parts from VT you should call them and discuss shipping...they work in the US but live in Canada. I don't see why they couldn't bring stuff home with them then mail it and bypass the added fees...

See, I didn't know that. But it wasn't like it was a huge hassle, the cams were already there when I arrived in Virginia and I had to be there for the wedding, I just picked them up and I just got back to Canada 30 minutes ago. Everything went fine:nice:

so no tickets in Virginia? Its the worst state to drive through! They prey on out of state drivers and have low speed limits because they know you can't drive 55mph on I95! Its the only state i ever get pulled over in while i drive from NJ to Florida.

DropTopPony said:
so no tickets in Virginia? Its the worst state to drive through! They prey on out of state drivers and have low speed limits because they know you can't drive 55mph on I95! Its the only state i ever get pulled over in while i drive from NJ to Florida.

Nope, not one ticket in Virginia, or any other state.:)

If I remember, the I95 had a speed limit of 65MPH, well, I don't really remember because I was cruising down all the way at 75MPH:p. Once I hit NJ Turn Pike, for around 20 miles, traffic:(

As for State Troopers, there were so many more from 7pm to 7am then during the day. I had no radar detector but instead I had a CB.

did you go through the great state of delaware? cause if so, that would be a big #5.. if u were on the pa turnpike going to va, you probably did but just didnt realize it. anyways, i just put my vt stg 1's in and they are awesome! you will love the gains/ idle.

steveb24 said:
did you go through the great state of delaware? cause if so, that would be a big #5.. if u were on the pa turnpike going to va, you probably did but just didnt realize it. anyways, i just put my vt stg 1's in and they are awesome! you will love the gains/ idle.

Yea, I just remembered, I did go through Delaware. I was using Microsoft GPS locator to get my driving route.

Also, did you install your cams yourself? If so, how long did it take you?

i did. i took me approx 10 hours, including a valve cover leak on the drivers side which i had to go back and take the cover off again, rtv the gasket and carefully (took a few trys) and place the gasket on correctly. also used 2 buddies to help keep tension on the cam gear while i was swapping the cam. you only really need one other person though. it was not hard at all, the hardest part was getting the cam gear back onto the new cams. the car ran awesome after the new cams and i really felt some huge gains, esp after the tune. :nice: