4 wheel disc swap to come this winter. is this what i need?

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
so ive got ranger (fox width) axles and drums, and 95 calipers/soft lines, with all the 5 lug stuff up there. this winter i plan on getting a set of 99-04 pbr calipers (non cobra) i know ill have to grind my 95 spindle to fit it, but thats fine, then the rear i want to do a disc on now. that famous 5 lug site says i need

driver side Ranger axles or passenger side Aerostar axles (2)
94+ GT/V6 10.5" solid rear rotors (2)
sn95 calipers from 94-98 v6/gt/cobra (2)
soft brake lines (2)
pads for 94+ GT/V6 (1 set)
North RaceCar brackets (2)
FMS M2809A ebrake cables for 87-92 car (2) - or 93 Cobra cables for 1993 cars (2) F3ZZ-2A635-A
FMS M2810A center ebrake cable (1)
adapter from softline to hard lines (2)

why do i need those north racecar brackets? i cant just pull it all from a junkyard? cause the track is wider on the sn's right?

i basically want 99-04 gt/v6 front and rear calipers, which would leave me guessing that i need a 99-04 booster and master cyl right? or would my master be okay but just need a booster? i was figuring i might as well do the booster and mc, that way my brakes would be just like the factory 99-04 ones but on a fox, and with 95 spindles and fox width rear stuff.

and i was probably going to do ss brake lines while i was at it. good idea? and will i have to mess with flaring tools and such and modify hardlines?

this stuff is 94-98 real caliper oriented isnt it? are they much worse than the 99-04 rear calipers?

• Sponsors (?)

OK, her is more on the differences between the setups. 1. You need the NRC brackets or other modified brackets to mount the rear calipers on the shorter Ranger axles. The SN95 axles are longer, thus the stock disc caliper brackets are designed to mount the calipers away from the rear housing 3/4". The NRC brackets move the calipers back in 3/4 " so you can use the shorter axles.

What MC & Booster do you have now? You can use a SN95 V6 MC & Booster if you want to. You will need a rear disc brake MC to operate the rear disc brakes properly. For the rears, all of the 94-04 calipers are the same, there is no difference except for the Cobra brackets vs the base/GT brackets.

SS lines are a good idea. They will bolt right up to your fronts if you order the right ones. The rears are for SN95 cars, and they have different fittings on the ends, so you would need either adapter fittings, SN95 hard lines, cut & reflare your lines, or make new lines.

1993 Cobra booster is what you want. It's the same 205mm tandem booster as the SN95...but the bolt pattern is correct for the fox.

As for which MC, the 99-04 GT's use a hydroboosted 1 1/16" MC. You can't use this. Also, the hydroboosted units are about 1/16" larger than typical vac boosted units.

The 99-04 V6 use a Vacuum booster. Their MC is a 1" bore. While it won't directly bolt in due to fitting changes, you can just use a 1993 Cobra 1" bore MC.

Rear calipers on all 1994 to 2004 Mustangs is the same....in terms of the clamping part..it's 38mm.

oh, i was at work and the calipers come up with a different number for the 94-95s and 96-04s. oh well. now ive got the stock booster. so no matter what caliper i do i need the nrc bracket right? and im basically gonna want a 93 cobra booster and mc? that will work fine with dual piston non cobra pbr's and stock sn 94-04 rear calipers

and what is this of antimoan brackets? does the nrc bracket take the place of this?

All the rear calipers are the same...1994-2004. Only difference is the pads and pad holder bracket between gt/v6 and cobra/mach/bullitt

MC is gonna depends on what feel you want. The caliper sizing is similar to the 94-98 calipers. the 94-98 gt/v6 65mm caliper has a hydralic area of 3318 mm^2 while the 99+ non cobra PBR is 3110 mm^2. Your two choices are the 94-95 GT or 94-98 v6 MC (1 1/16" bore) or the 1993 cobra mc (1" bore)

The 1" MC will give you a softer pedal than the 1 1/6" MC.

From what i've seen, most guys run the 1" MC with those calipers

i just want it as close to stock feeling as i can. the pedals way to soft with 95 calipers and the stock booster and mc. if i get 99-04 non cobra pbr's and 94-04 rear calipers the 93 cobra mc and bb would be my best bet?

and can i get most of this stuff off a 94-04? like the aitimoans and stuff like that?