40 series muffler question

I'm having a hell of a time trying to decide what to do for the exhaust on my 94 Cobra and I had a question about the infamous Flowmaster 40-series muffler. Someone told me that it was designed for the V6 to make it sound really good, and it CAN be put on a v8 but won't sound as impressive.

Is there any way that could be true? How would it sound if I had two 40-series mufflers behind the stock cats and then short side-exit tailpipes? I would do the o/r X-pipe but I really cant afford it right now.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

yeah, uhh....lol even the notion that a flowmaster 40 series shouldn't be put onto a v8 mustang is crazy since at least half of stangnet 5.0's have them. Both of my Mustangs are v8's and they have flowmasters. I'm not saying it's the only choice or even the best choice, but definately is an acceptable choice for your v8 Mustang muffler needs.

Try the Super 40's. Basically a deeper version of the original 40's but with less interior noise and supposedly better scavenging. I run mine with on a 347 stroker with equal lengths and offroad h-pipe. Cant beat the sound and intimidation factor....

Half of the people w/ mustangs in my area of NJ are either running MAC Flowpaths or Flowmaster 40s. Those are the most popular, however some do run Borla or Bassani. Me on the other hand, I run Flowmaster Outlaw Series Race Mufflers, extremely loud, no chambers at all. Nobody has them, and I'll love the sound of setting off car alarms and just the aggressive loudness. I do like the way 40s sound, but love the idea of my mufflers which are twice as loud as them.