400WHP with Procharger?

ben99

Oct 20, 2004
I have tried searching for similar setups but haven't found anything here. I am helping my friend change his head gasket on his '95 Cobra. He has a Procharger P1SC intercooled with the 14lb pulley. He also has bassani x-pipe, with a borla mufflers and 3 inch pipes, BBK headers (shorties), larger MAF meter(not sure what size), larger throttle body (not sure what size), 42llb injectors, larger fuel pump, Taylor wires, and a custom burned chip on the dyno. Now, he only got 350hp at the wheels. Shouldn't he be getting about 400WHP with the setup properly tuned. Is he missing something? What other mods would you suggest to bump it up to 400WHP? The motor is a brand new shortblock with forged internals and only 2000 miles on it. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Something is definitley not right. Who flashed his ECU? That may be something to look at. After you have researched that, i'm sure a decent cam would liven things up.

Back to the tuning; who did it? Were all the mods on the motor at the time? Has the car's performance slacked off over time?

The shop dyno tuned it with all the parts on it. The motor is pretty much brand new, so the performance hasn't really slacked. The shop that did the tuning said that the 5.0's don't really get that much of a gain with the Procharger and that 350 to the wheels was pretty good. I don't think that sounds right.... I think there are some cooling issues also. The shop that tuned it said that the temp gauge was acting funny, and then a week later the head gasket blew... So, maybe the head gasket was leaking while they were tuning and causing such low numbers. Unfortunately, we did not have the boost gauge installed before the tuning (they said it didn't matter). We will be installing a boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge tomorrow after the head gasket is in and the motor is back together. We are using Fel-Pro head gaskets as recommended by a friend that has built several mustangs, does that sound OK, or is there another head gasket we should be using for such high pressures?

The Felpro will work just fine. Its a common name in Mustangs when it comes to gaskets. My opinion is that the shop is full of ****t! They either don't know how to tune their way out of a paper bag OR the car was having compression issues because of the leaking head gasket, which caused the tune to be so weak. The procharger blower is a centrifigal set up that makes its power in high rpms. The procharger pulls really hard up top. I could believe the proproganda about a blower not making much power if the blower was a roots style that was producing uber amounts of torque right off the line. BUT the procharger is not that sort of blower, therefore you need to take that car back to them have them retune the car for free. In my opinion, they never properly tuned the car in the first place........

What kind of dyno did he get his car tuned on? Mustang dyno's read lower than dynojet's and are technically more accurate. If it was a mustang dyno and not a dynojet, then those numbers aren't too low. But without knowing how much boost he's running, its hard to say.

I am running 6-7 psi currently and I'm making 400 to the wheels on a dynojet. That was untuned other than adjusting fuel pressure, and was at 5700 rpm when it went lean. The power was still climbing . But I do have aluminum heads and an aftermarket camshaft.

I doubt he's making 14 psi after the mods he's done. I have a 9 lb pulley that is only making 6-7 psi. It made 9 psi when the engine was stock, but once I modified it the new combo took in the boost. I have had it up to 6000rpm on the street and it hits 7 psi. Hope this helps.

Are his Borla mufflers stright through design mufflers? ( I think they are but Im not sure) Ive seen w/ my own eyes a 20 RWHP increase from switching from Chamberd flowmasters to stright through design Magnaflows on a blow Stang.

Sleepy McNastee said:
What kind of dyno did he get his car tuned on? Mustang dyno's read lower than dynojet's and are technically more accurate. If it was a mustang dyno and not a dynojet, then those numbers aren't too low. .

Im surprised it took 4-5 posts for this question to be asked...it's key!
RC