408 Clevor Dyno Numbers

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
Some of you may remember me mentioning (or maybe not) that my father n law has been building a kinda odd ball engine over the last few years. He is very meticulous and takes forever to get stuff done. I believe this has been a 4 year project. Here are the details:

-351 Roller Block stroked to 408 with light weight ibeams and 4340 crank
-iron 4 barrel heads with extensive porting and reshaping (believed to be old nascar take offs)
-titanium valvs
-custom comp cam spec solid roller (don't remember specs, but it's big)
- 1 7/8 longtubes
-tfs single plane clever intake with port matching
-custom carb, 900 cfm I believe
-13:1 compression

Just for giggles, let's hear a few guesses before I reveal the results....

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

It made 720HP @ 7400, TQ was somewhere in the high 500's irrc. Hoping to go see it make a pull Friday. Dyno operator had killed his expectations when he dropped it off. He claimed that he had dyno'd similar builds with aftermarket aluminum heads that went 600-650, so he is pretty pumped right now.

Joe

Reactions: 3 users
I guess I was close on hp. Those iron heads are known for making more hp than tq, but 500 still ain't shabby.

Reactions: 1 user
Darn it...! So darn busy at work these days I can't even check Stangnet. Lol. Now they're going take phones away except at breaks(like I even get those-these days). Oh well I wouldn't have guessed that high. More along the 600-650hp range. Great job! Post the track results. Please.

It will be a little while for track results. He has ran a straight cut, dog ringed T5 for years and was contemplating using it with this engine, even though his son and I were trying to talk him out of it. I think he is now in agreement, and that's a $3500 purchase.

It will be going in his 79 (areo nose converted) mustang. It's a racecar. 1 seat, mostly stripped interior (done cleanly), caged and no accessories with an eletric water pump.

Here is a video I took of it a few years back when it had a 302 with gt40 heads. Went 6.82 in this trim.

View: https://youtu.be/iWqd5UPjitk

6.82 pass...

View: https://youtu.be/S5XERywKqeo

Joe

Reactions: 2 users
It will be a little while for track results. He has ran a straight cut, dog ringed T5 for years and was contemplating using it with this engine, even though his son and I were trying to talk him out of it. I think he is now in agreement, and that's a $3500 purchase.

It will be going in his 79 (areo nose converted) mustang. It's a racecar. 1 seat, mostly stripped interior (done cleanly), caged and no accessories with an eletric water pump.

Here is a video I took of it a few years back when it had a 302 with gt40 heads. Went 6.82 in this trim.

View: https://youtu.be/iWqd5UPjitk

6.82 pass...

View: https://youtu.be/S5XERywKqeo

Joe

Awesome numbers from the new motor.. The 302 still living ? Lol

It made 720HP @ 7400, TQ was somewhere in the high 500's irrc. Hoping to go see it make a pull Friday. Dyno operator had killed his expectations when he dropped it off. He claimed that he had dyno'd similar builds with aftermarket aluminum heads that went 600-650, so he is pretty pumped right now.

Joe

So... When do we get pics of this beast?

Awesome numbers from the new motor.. The 302 still living ? Lol

Yes! That motor blew a head gasket last year. He pulled it apart and put new gaskets on it, but it has the original bearings and rings from the early 2000's. It is actually still in the car at the moment. It was built with a new stock block, still 4" bore, with probe srs flat tops, lightened and resized arp bolted factory rods and stock crank. Anderson N51 cam, 11.5 compression, longtubes, single plane, turning it about 6800. Just like the clevor, all home built.

So... When do we get pics of this beast?

Hopefully I will have pics and video tonight. Here are some pics from my phone that he sent me a few months ago. Just some old factory parts, lol.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG950493.jpg
    IMG950493.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 468
Reactions: 4 users
Yes! That motor blew a head gasket last year. He pulled it apart and put new gaskets on it, but it has the original bearings and rings from the early 2000's. It is actually still in the car at the moment. It was built with a new stock block, still 4" bore, with probe srs flat tops, lightened and resized arp bolted factory rods and stock crank. Anderson N51 cam, 11.5 compression, longtubes, single plane, turning it about 6800. Just like the clevor, all home built.

Hopefully I will have pics and video tonight. Here are some pics from my phone that he sent me a few months ago. Just some old factory parts, lol.

Joe

That's pretty dang cool! I kicked around the idea of one of those for a while, but I don't know if it'll ever happen. I think hotrod magazine built one a while back, they squeezed close to 1000 hp out of with a blower. Very potent engine.

Reactions: 1 user
That's pretty dang cool! I kicked around the idea of one of those for a while, but I don't know if it'll ever happen. I think hotrod magazine built one a while back, they squeezed close to 1000 hp out of with a blower. Very potent engine.

It is neat. Not the most cost effective route for most guys, but he was looking to do something different. The motor between the 302 and this one is a dart block, big bore destroked 302 that comes in at 310". It made 570 and turned to almost 9000 rpm. Again, all home built.

Joe

Reactions: 4 users