408 stroker opinions...

StarFox07

Jun 10, 2005
Texas
The more I look around the more i see that the ford 408 is one NASTY engine and I would like to have one.

So here is what i want to do. I am thinking about selling my 91 coupe ($3500 or so) and using the 5500 I will have (i have some saved) to buy a V6 94-98 mustang and building it up. I figure I can pick one up for 1500 or so, so that would leave me about 4k to use for modification.

My question is, would it better to buy a pre-built 408 or get a 351 bare block and start from scratch?

Would performance heads for a 302 hold back a 408 because of the bigger cubes? For instance, the Edelbrock performer top end kit seems like a pretty good deal @ $17xx but would that choke the bigger 408?

If I do build it up, what company makes the best 408 stroker kits? I would like to spend about 3-3.5k on the motor, and have it make 400-500hp.

• Sponsors (?)

The more I look around the more i see that the ford 408 is one NASTY engine and I would like to have one.

So here is what i want to do. I am thinking about selling my 91 coupe ($3500 or so) and using the 5500 I will have (i have some saved) to buy a V6 94-98 mustang and building it up. I figure I can pick one up for 1500 or so, so that would leave me about 4k to use for modification.

My question is, would it better to buy a pre-built 408 or get a 351 bare block and start from scratch?

Would performance heads for a 302 hold back a 408 because of the bigger cubes? For instance, the Edelbrock performer top end kit seems like a pretty good deal @ $17xx but would that choke the bigger 408?

If I do build it up, what company makes the best 408 stroker kits? I would like to spend about 3-3.5k on the motor, and have it make 400-500hp.

i hate to bring you down man but that aint gonna happen. speed motive makes good kits. IMO and it depends on what heads you are going to use if its going to restrict it or not. edyy performer kit will NEVER make 400-500 N/A it might get close to 350-400 if you port/ polish and match everything up with a good tune. it could make that kind of power with boost though.

i hate to bring you down man but that aint gonna happen. speed motive makes good kits. IMO and it depends on what heads you are going to use if its going to restrict it or not. edyy performer kit will NEVER make 400-500 N/A it might get close to 350-400 if you port/ polish and match everything up with a good tune. it could make that kind of power with boost though.

Even on a 408 it wouldnt make 400+?
In the jegs catalog (yes i know i know) it says 400hp (i assume at the flywheel) on a 351, so i was hoping with 57 extra cubes i could at least make 400whp. I would like to eventually add n20 into the mix, and I believe a forged 408 could take quite alot of spray.

I'm not trying to be the guy who asks for enormous power on an ultra cheapo budget.

yea well like you said its jegs.. and advertising. they will do anything to sell a product. eddy performers are ok. there not much better than aset of worked gt40-p's off of an explorer. there just out dated. spend the littel extra cash and get a trick flow top end kit and with a 408 it will see 400+ and with spray you will be all over $5000 hp. and if you dont have any experience with engine building do not attempt the stroker. there are way to many variables to condider. either let a reputable builder assemble you one or buy a stroker short block. :nice:

for a assembled 408 shortblock your looking at $2500-$4000 for a 2bolt block with good internals, depends on where you look. Your budget and 400rwhp most likely isnt going to happen. There are alot of other variables also, auto or manual,headers, exhaust, efi or carbed?? building a 408 with good parts isnt cheap, your better off taking your time and do it right your first time. 10.5-11.1 afr 205s, custom cam, victor jr. (efi or carbed) 13/4 long tubes 3in collectors 3in exhaust will net roughly 400-460 rwhp depending on trans, dyno brand, conditions, and a good tune. You also have to make sure the rest of the car is set up right to take full advantage of the power, what good is it if you cant put it to the ground.

for a assembled 408 shortblock your looking at $2500-$4000 for a 2bolt block with good internals, depends on where you look. Your budget and 400rwhp most likely isnt going to happen. There are alot of other variables also, auto or manual,headers, exhaust, efi or carbed?? building a 408 with good parts isnt cheap, your better off taking your time and do it right your first time. 10.5-11.1 afr 205s, custom cam, victor jr. (efi or carbed) 13/4 long tubes 3in collectors 3in exhaust will net roughly 400-460 rwhp depending on trans, dyno brand, conditions, and a good tune. You also have to make sure the rest of the car is set up right to take full advantage of the power, what good is it if you cant put it to the ground.

The car will be manual and to cut down on headaches it will be carbed. I do have quite a few friends that are very experienced engine builders, so I think that I could do most of the work with their help. Whats involved with building a stroker that would be so hard? I know it has to be bored out, and that I CANT do for sure, but the rest is all just assembly correct?

EDIT: Just rummaging around ebay i found this shortblock, looks to be all good quality parts and its pretty reasonable judging by your claim. Good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STRO...ryZ33620QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

First thing first please dont sell your coupe..:nonono:

Now this is my combo I just copied this from a similar thread of a guy asking the same question well almost..enjoy:D

A little over 6 grand and a proven 9sec combo just do your homework and dont be afraid to buy used

1969 block and all the prep work=450
eagle stroker kit ZERO balanced=1400
intake=200(used)
carb=790
R heads=1500(used)
oil pan=150(used)
cam=375
Kooks headers=400(used)
electric water pump=280
romac balancer and timing chain=300
crane gold race rockers=200(used)
Misc=300

Man I'm just looking for 12's, 11's on spray:lol:

If I just did a 351 with that edelbrock top end kit, would that be good enough for 12's on street tires? 408 is looking mightily expensive.

Man I'm just looking for 12's, 11's on spray:lol:

You can do this with a 302 base motor..:nice:

But to answer your question yes you can do it with that top end kit. And just so you know I can swap to drag radials and go cruising the car is disigned to compete in True Street (NMRA)

later

Alrighty, then thats what I will do. Thanks for all the info, you guys are great. :nice: