408 vs. 347

I'm new to this board and have a question about obviously the stroked windsor vs. the 5.0. I mean i know that the windsor will make more power, but is it worth the effort, weight disadvantage, and money to put this in, or should i just slip in the 347 and be done with it? And if the Windsor is worth it, what kind of mods do i need to do so it fits? Cost isn't the biggest thing, I just got a call from RacerX, and they're willing to sponsor me, so depending on the details, it should be a freebe. I'm pumped that i have some cash to work with now, and would like any imput now as to what u guys think. I know u guys know you're stuff and would appriciate the help. Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

I say build up your 302, Heads, Cam, Intake, MAS, Exhaust, everything then drop the 347 in it with all thoes parts on it. I plan on doing that to my car but going with a 331 instead. That way you can slowly build up the motor and when it comes time, you can transfer all of the parts on over the the 347 and still be able to use the stock wiring harness

The cost of the 408 would be extremely more than the 347 because you need a different distributor, headers, and intake, among other things. The heads you would use for a stroked 351, start to get REALLY expensive. You have to buy race heads for proper flow on the 408, but for a 347, you can buy AFR 185's which are still street legal, and a hell of a lot cheaper than the 205's or 225's you would put on the 408. If you have the extra (few thousand) bucks to fund the 408, I would do that, if not, you could easily squeeze 400 HP out of a 347.

Give us the details on this 'sponsorship' by RacerX. I know a few people that are sponsored by them and they have gotten shafted. They paid all this money to RacerX and what RacerX does is give you like a 'club card' that you can use to buy parts cheaper and they get a certain percentage off of the labor bill. If I were you, I would seriously look into that sponsor thing, because it does not sound like a good deal to me. Summit offers better deals as far as prices are concerned than RacerX does. BTW, isn't RacerX just for ricers, or are the only ones that I see with RacerX stickers on their cars?

Joe

That's what i thought too. I mean about racerx being for ricers only, but i figured i'd send in an application, i mean money is money IMO. But the partial sponsorship is kinda like what you said bout it being discounts, but it's only like $70 to take care of all the paperwork, and i figured the h*ll with it, i'll take that chance. If it's part sponsorship i think it's like 25-50% off parts from everything they cover, which does include like edelbrock, NOS, and a few other names i could use. If i do get the full sponsorship, it's just free parts up to $12,000 so it's worth a shot, who could argue? I mean am I wrong? :shrug:

Im gonna have to say go 408, if ur starting from scratch..

I mean, you'll need headers/heads/cam/intake/dist if you get the 408 or 347, so y not go right to the 408. Yes the heads will be a bit more, and in the end the 408 will cost a bit more, i dont think it will be a TON more, if your smart about what you buy. But you will have an UNGODLY amount of power that you wont get out a 347..

408 all the way :nice:

I think its gonna come down to what you want your car to be. Do you want it to be a serious drag car and barely a street car? The 408 is gonna make some serious power that is gonna make it very un-streetable. The 347 will still be very streetable. yes i understand there are always exceptions, but for the most part, the 408 is a drag engine built for only one thing, power. Yes, your gonna be starting from scratch anyway so why not just buy a 408 in the first place. I mean are you going to put stock E7s on a 408? NO. You gonna but stock E7s on a 347? most likely NO. So your build up is going be about the same, but the 408 will require parts that aren't associated with the 347 like motor mounts, lower intake, harmonic balancer/flywheel, distributor, not to mention all the extras like a bigger tranny and rear to handle the power. The front springs will need to be upgraded to handle the additional 100lbs. or so of the 351. Just remember, if you do the 408, FORD RACING is your BEST FRIEND. The 95 Cobra R had the 351 and ford sells all the parts from it through FRPP.

Just remember its always what you want your car to be.

I say 302 or 331 with a very strong bottom end and spend the money on an r302 block instead of a winsor swap. Then go with a turbo or blower and boost the crap out of it. those blocks are rated to 1200hp by ford it it will fit nicely under the hood. You cant go wrong with that. I think thats the wisest way to spend the extra money ypu would for a winsor swap.