408ci parts list....what's missing, what's wrong?

deadly97snake

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2001
Manchester, NH
I have been looking into putting in a 408ci engine with AFR 205's, and a T56 tranny. I put together a parts list for this and this is what I've come up with so far...BTW the list is kinda long, sorry.

1. Trickflow Intake 351W: 351 (5.8L) Windsor 90 mm manifold, black powdercoated upper TFS-51511006 :$584.40 www.jdsperformance.com

Headers: MAC 1.75" HTS coated
Part Number: TF7792
Price: 299.99 http://www.mustangwarehouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=351L3

3. Throttle Body: Accufab: Ford Throttle Body Only Race 90mm Code: F90
Price: $257.99 http://www.mustangwarehouse.com/mustang_1.mvc?p=F90&Category_Code=AC

4. MAF:pro-M 92MM for 42# injectors N/A $425.00 http://www.pro-flow.com/Pro-M meter_Gallery.htm
http://pro-flow.com/Price Dealer Order/pricelist2003.htm

5. Heads: AFR 205's

6. Injectors: 42# part# FMS-M9593F302, from Ford racing $399.95 www.summitracing.com

7. Cam: Custom Hydraulic Roller cam 279.00 (www.Bennettracing.com)

8. T-Rex: Universal, 50 gph at 70 psi rating, T-Rex fuel pump Part # VOR-8F002-265 $189.95 (summit)

9. Fuel pump: 255LPH:Walbro Ford High Performance Fuel Pump/Kit
255 LPH High Pressure $109 (jds)

10. Transmition: Tremec Viper-Ford T-56 (http://ddperformance.com/T56 Kits.htm)

11. Suspention: Maximum motorsports "The Launch Box" Part# LB-5 Price:$3,370.98 http://www.maximummotorsports.com/giab3.asp

12. Pro-Billet Distributor: 351W, aluminum housing, polished finish, Street series: Part# MSD-8478 $259.95

13. SPORTSMAN 351 TO 418 CID SHORTBLOCK $4595
The Sportsman 351 Shortblock is a solid choice for anyone wanting to make 900 or less horsepower.

FRPP 6010-A351 SPORTSMAN BLOCK PRO MACHINED
SCAT FORGED STEEL CRANKSHAFT-BALANCED
SCAT H BEAM FORGED STEEL CONNECTING RODS
CUSTOM ROSS or CP PISTONS & HD PINS
CLEVITE H SERIES BEARINGS
SPEEDPRO MOLY OR HI TEMP RING SET
FELPRO REAR MAIN SEAL
PRO ASSEMBLED

*ADD $325 FOR MAIN SUPPORT SYSTEM & MAIN STUDS
*ADD $459 FOR CUSTOM GRIND ROLLER CAM,ARP CAM BOLT,TIMING CHAIN,ROLLER CAM RETAINER, and CAM DEGREED

• Sponsors (?)

The 90MM is a good choice when you want to take advantage of the cubes. I'm probably purchasing a 408 crate motor with AFR 205's, custom cam, RPM II intake and all that. Your list is pretty damn expensive.

VibrantRedGT said:
The 90MM is a good choice when you want to take advantage of the cubes. I'm probably purchasing a 408 crate motor with AFR 205's, custom cam, RPM II intake and all that. Your list is pretty damn expensive.
Yeah it is. Your combo looks good though. Like Vib said, keep the 90mm.

Joe

VibrantRedGT said:
I'm probably purchasing a 408 crate motor with AFR 205's, custom cam, RPM II intake and all that. Your list is pretty damn expensive.

Hey Vib, do you think there is anyway that I will be able to save some money by doing something different?

Oh yeah and I forgot this. I don't know if it will be strong enough. Anybody have any advise? :shrug:

14. Axels and differential 31 Spline: (Includes: Moser c-clip street axels, Auburn pro or Eaton posi, Moser wheel studs) $559.00 http://www.bbandtracing.com/MOSER.html

deadly97snake said:
Hey Vib, do you think there is anyway that I will be able to save some money by doing something different?

Oh yeah and I forgot this. I don't know if it will be strong enough. Anybody have any advise? :shrug:

14. Axels and differential 31 Spline: (Includes: Moser c-clip street axels, Auburn pro or Eaton posi, Moser wheel studs) $559.00 http://www.bbandtracing.com/MOSER.html
Do you drive the car on the street? If so, you are limited to a 31 spline axle because with the 33 or 35 splines, you have to run a spool. You kind of have your hands tied there.

Have you contacted places like CHP or Bennett to see if you could get a better deal through them by buying a fully assembled longblock? I'd be hesitant to buy a FMS shortblock. There are so many better choices out there.

Joe

Joes95GT said:
Do you drive the car on the street? If so, you are limited to a 31 spline axle because with the 33 or 35 splines, you have to run a spool. You kind of have your hands tied there.

Have you contacted places like CHP or Bennett to see if you could get a better deal through them by buying a fully assembled longblock? I'd be hesitant to buy a FMS shortblock. There are so many better choices out there.

Joe

Yes this will be mostly a street driven car that will see the 1/4 mile about 3-4 times a year. But is the 31 spline stuff strong enough?

I haven't contacted any places yet. I have just been shopping around and going on words of wisdom from people on Stangnet. :nice: So are you saying it will be cheaper to buy a longblock from one of these places? I'm kind of a newbie on this kind of stuff. Its my first BIG project.

Well my mind is still set on Keith Craft's 408 crate motor. You can go to the site but it's a fully assembled, blue printed, 351 based block that's oil pan to intake. Just have to drop it in. Cost is around $5600. They claim 500HP/500TQ.

keith craft is great. alittle pricey but worth it. i think your T/B is good, but only 42lb injectors??? that seems really small for the rest of the engine with the cubes. i know guys running 160lb on 302s. a must is the main support system on the block. Don't foget about engine mounts and a new hood, you can't crame a EFI 351 under a stock hood, just not possible. Coast High Performance has good setups as well, check them out. and yes buying a longblock is alot cheaper, better yet is a complete turnkey assembly.

ProKiller said:
keith craft is great. alittle pricey but worth it. i think your T/B is good, but only 42lb injectors??? that seems really small for the rest of the engine with the cubes. i know guys running 160lb on 302s. a must is the main support system on the block. Don't foget about engine mounts and a new hood, you can't crame a EFI 351 under a stock hood, just not possible. Coast High Performance has good setups as well, check them out. and yes buying a longblock is alot cheaper, better yet is a complete turnkey assembly.

The 42lb injectors was the suggestions of other people wth similar engine combo's. Does anybody else have any imput on th 42#? Also one question about the longblocks......

VibrantRedGT said:
Well my mind is still set on Keith Craft's 408 crate motor. You can go to the site but it's a fully assembled, blue printed, 351 based block that's oil pan to intake. Just have to drop it in. Cost is around $5600. They claim 500HP/500TQ.

You say you just have to "drop it in". I know it comes with the heads, cam, and intake, but does it comes with the fuel injectors also?

I will give you a hell of a deal on a complete 418 or long block or shortblock... has less then 300 miles of street use... Only thing is it has hyper pistons in it... forged h beams and forged crank though...

I know this isn't the right place for this but if your interested in details pm me.

Everything you said seems to be pretty good choices... :nice:

VibrantRedGT said:
No fuel injectors or fuel rails. Still have to bolt up your accessories, headers and such. I'm using 42# Injectors, 255LPH in-tank, inline pump and Kirban.

Oh yeah thanks VIB,

15. Kirban Billet Adj F/P Regulator: $79.00 http://www.houstonperformance.com/fuelairsystems.htm

16. Autometer Gauges (Water Temerature):
Part# ATM-5737 $39.88 www.summitracing.com

17. Autometer Gauges (Fuel Pressure):
Part# ATM-5763 $189.88 www.summitracing.com

One more thing, when looking at these engines and parts am I gonna be going with a 87-93 style intake and TB or is it gonna be a 94-95 style?

People have switched over to the FOX style with great results. RIO, stang_gt_1994 has too. Just need the throttle cable, TPS connector, TPS sensor and throttle body. The cable, tps and connector can be found at any salvage yard. I was thinking of doing the same but I just bought my TB plus I polished it (got money and time in it). I'm going with 1 3/4 Long Tubes.

VibrantRedGT said:
People have switched over to the FOX style with great results. RIO, stang_gt_1994 has too. Just need the throttle cable, TPS connector, TPS sensor and throttle body. The cable, tps and connector can be found at any salvage yard.

Now will I be looking at the cable, tps and connector from any year between 87-93 5.0 mustang or is there a certain year(s) to look for?

You will need a throttle cable and bracket from any 87-93 5.0 Stang. You will also need a TPS sensor and connector for the same years. On the 42lb injectors you can get them from JD's for $297.00. BTW the MSD Distributor will not work unless you get a full MSD ignition too. The plugins are not the same. You can score a Distributor off a 94-95 Lightning and it is a direct bolt it.

VibrantRedGT said:
Joe,
I thought you were talking about the Edelbrock engine?

Also You say "just drop it in", but dont YOU still have to get headers, intake, distributor, and hood?

RC

I'd suggest a 1.875" header at the smallest, and since you must not have to pass emissions go to the AFR225 and a Vic Jr or Super Victor Spyder, I'd go 50#inj and you'll need some type of tuner. The 80mm MAF is actually fine and better reading then a 92mm....

Big Cube motors like big parts...

Most 408-418 kits with a 5cc flat top come in around 12:1 compression. If a power adder of some sort is in the future now is the time to plan for it.

It really comes down to how much power do you want to make? How much money you have to spend?

94GTLaserRC said:
Joe,
I thought you were talking about the Edelbrock engine?

Also You say "just drop it in", but dont YOU still have to get headers, intake, distributor, and hood?

RC

Edelbrock only has 350 Chevy crate motors, no Fords yet. By the time you need one they will have them.

Drop in motor, built and assembled but the surrounding stuff I have to do. It comes with the RPM II intake but I'm probably gonna upgrade to the Victor. I have to provide the injectors, distributor and hood of course.