408W Fuel System

js66coupe

May 10, 2009
Florida
I have a stroked 351 to 408W carbureted, with a 23x/24x cam, Vic Jr, headers, etc....Just wondering what others with this engine are doing for a fuel pump. Would a mechanical pump be sufficient or should I go with an electric fuel pump? If mechanical, what would be a good one to use? Some think that at the upper RPM range, the mechanical won't keep up. Thoughts. TIA.

• Sponsors (?)

i have a Carter 172 mechanical. It's way more than i'll ever use. It claims it doesn't need a regulator but i'm getting 9 psi for the first few minutes of startup. not that it matters but i have a 418W, carbed, 23x/24x, Vic jr, headers, etc.

lots of reason's to consider going electric though. i went with a mechanical because i'm attempting to make the car look somewhat stock. the fact i'm going to need a regulator is a bit of an issue.

I like the regulated return style set-up as long as your not under any restraints (looking stockish). The larger mech pumps may keep up but I prefer electric.

If you want a quieter aftermarket pump Fuelab would be a good choice, Ive been using these over the last year with excellent results been over 1200hp with them. If you need anything let me know if I can help...

my guess is your stock fuel line is 5/16. i think you may have stock line options to go with 3/8". there is an aftermarket fuel tank pickup available that has 1/2" out and return feeds (also has fuel gauge) if interested (and don't want to modify one).

I went 1/2" to be conservative.