418 Stroker Motor

jk351w

Aug 21, 2006
This question is for people w/ first hand experience with stroker motors!!!

I’m putting together a carbureted 418 stroker motor that will most likely put out around 460 RWHP. I am using a Redneck C-4 (full manual w/ brake - 3400 stall). This setup with be installed in a 1988 fox body with 4.10 gears. My question is whether you guys think it will be enjoyable on weekend cruises? It will see a lot of track time as well :nice: . I am just wondering the pros & cons to this type of setup…Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I do not forsee a problem at all it all depends on your camshaft and top end kit as to how streetable and driveable it will be. The thing I like about stroker motors is their ability to make great power at low rpm's making them great drivers. They also have good longevity due to the fact they don't have to be revved to the moon. If you wanted to keep it a bit more of a cruiser car the 418 makes enough torque with a C4 trans you could problably step your rear gear down to a 73 or 55 and get good results. That 420 incher is gonna need to breath so with the right top end look to make over 500 to the ground

500+ RWHP? Do you really think that much? I wouldn't complain :D . The CR is 10.9:1 with 61cc heads and the cam specs are:
112 Center
Duration: 234 244
Lift: .520 .544

For the top end I'm using a Holley Street Avenger 770 cfm with a vacuum 2ndry. Also, an Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifold.

jk351w, i am running a 427 in my car. It's only as streetable as you want to make it. The cam you are looking to put in it, looks a little small. It will work great if you are going for a totally streetable cam, but streetable can cover a large area. I drive mine on the street all the time, but i am EFI not carbed. Get a strong cooling system, cause it will produce a lot of heat. I want to install a larger cam, but that will come in the spring. Here are some specs on mine.

Dart block
9.2:1 CR (custom JE pistons)
Brodix 225cc CNC track 1 heads
ACT Automatics Competition C4 reverse manual
ACT 3800 stall
Comp cams XFI 236 cam
Comp 977 springs
Eagle forged crank and rods
ARP 2000 bolts
Edelbrock Victor EFI
Accufab 90mm TB
PMAS Velocity MAF
Anderson PMS
Hooker 2" super comp headers/3.5" collectors
3" flows dumped

You are gonne be running more compression than me because i am gonna go turbo or blower in the future. Mine idles about 850rpm and pulls about 6" vacuum. I would step the gear ratio up to at least a 3.55 with a 26" tire and a C4. I am running a 28" tire with 3.73's, but am still thinking about 3.55's. Your RWHP goals are attainable, but you are gonna need some big equipment. A lot of people think these can't be revvers just because they are large inch motors, but i am using the stock rev limiter and it wants to go well past there, but i dont because 1 motor is expensive enough. You will enjoy it greatly when you get it done. It will make lots of torque, if i knew mine was gonna be this fast, i would have just gone high compression and built a 434" and forgot about the blower! Good luck!

Anthony

I agree with most of the above. You should definitely get a little less gear. With a 500hp 418, 1st gear will be almost useless. Hell its pretty much useless in my car and i dont have 500 hp lol. but either way that car will be fun and badass.:nice: