418 vs. T-5....418 wins

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
Well the stock 176K T-5 put up good fight and survived a little over 400 miles of approx. 550-600FWTQ, but it finally gave up tonight. I was just cruising at 70 on the interstate when I heard a loud whistling sound. I thought it was just the turbo on the truck I was passing at the time...WRONG. I made it about a mile when the tranny started grinding and wouldn't go into any gear. If I let out the clutch in neutral, the engine dies. So, I would say it's pretty much shot. :notnice:

The good news is that I now know what my next purchase will be, a TKO 600. Unfortunately, I won't be able to afford it for another 2 1/2 to 3 months. I hope I can get it running before the tracks close for winter because I really wanted to run it this year.

Anybody willing to make a donation?? :D

• Sponsors (?)

5.0_GT_kid said:
You're really not surprised are you? LOL

Im surprised it lasted as long as it did lol.

RC, no dyno yet. I was gonna do it sometime in the next month or two, but that's not gonna happen now. :(

I thought you were going with a 347? :)

If you were just cruising when this happened, I don't think it was due to the power of the big inch 418. Let us know what the problem is if you find out.

What do bad synchros sound like? Because I have this new sound coming from around my transmission area. It happens when I go from 1st->2nd and I hear this slight grinding/spinning noise. It's very short and you can barely hear it, but enough that I'd notice it. Everything runs fine still. What do you guys think?

Grn92LX said:
If you were just cruising when this happened, I don't think it was due to the power of the big inch 418. Let us know what the problem is if you find out.

Well I kinda shifted a little too hard the other night when I was playing around with an LS1. :D It was definitely on its way out after that incident, Im just not sure why it decided to die while cruising. :shrug:

So, whats the best place to get a TKO 600 from? Any reccommendations on a bellhousing and clutch? I really like my Spec II, but I don't think it will hold up too long.

bjl95mustang said:
Damn, that sucks. I'm going to have to baby the aode that is in mine for now untill I get the 4r70w built.

And Rc why only a 393?

From what Ive been reading, the 393 is the best balance of reliability and power for a 351-based stroker.

Mike:

Im still not really sure...it's gonna be a year or 2 till I decide 100%....My options right now are 347, 351-based stroker, or built 306 and keep the blower and add a Snow Meth inj kit.

RC

That sucks mike... I really hope u get a chance to get it on a dyno and to the track...

94GTLaserRC said:
Sorry to hear that, but sounds like you knew it was coming...BTW...have you had a RWHP dyno yet?

I may be looking at a block like yours as an option, but as a 393..

Thanks
RC

RC- my #'s with the 418 are in the sig. We had similar combos :rolleyes: , different intake, he has a little more agressive cam and ed c said the heads may flow a little better when he fixed them. ( i sold him the engine/heads)

There was probably 10-15rwhp and rwtq left in my combo with a bigger intake tubing and some more tunning

Thanks Jesse. Right now Im thinking about just buying another T-5 if I can find one for cheap. That should last long enough to get the car dyno'd, but I don't think I would trust it(or me:) ) at the track. This one held up really well until I hit it pretty hard.

RC, I went through the same thing you're going through. First I wanted a 306, just a cheap easy replacement for my worn out block. Then for a long time I wanted a 331, until I saw a 357 short block cost the same as the 331. Then Jesse talked me into going with a stroker, so I was looking at 393's when he put his 418 up for sale and I just couldn't pass it up.

Low-5.0 said:
Well I kinda shifted a little too hard the other night when I was playing around with an LS1. :D It was definitely on its way out after that incident, Im just not sure why it decided to die while cruising. :shrug:

So, whats the best place to get a TKO 600 from? Any reccommendations on a bellhousing and clutch? I really like my Spec II, but I don't think it will hold up too long.

I got my 3550 from poweredbyford.com last summer. They had the best price and shipping was around $50 to a business address. They'll also be able to answer any belhousing and clutch questions. Really nice guys there. Good luck.

Dave