FE Build 428 Cj Heads On A 390 Block

• Sponsors (?)

wonderfull, i picked up a set of cj heads ,they were on the motor for about 200 miles and the guy scatterd the bottom end ,they have tripple springs already and a three angle valve job had the works done to them ,i got them for freee ,i also got the intake off the motor ,it is a edlebrok f 427 never seen one before little port matching i think it will be a good intake

edlebrok f 427
IMG_1255.JPG
IMG_1255.JPG

the 35

the 352 was a good motor for the time ,but i would build a 390 for it, beter performance parts available and a larger bore ,had a 65 f100 nice trucks

Not much bore difference. 352 = 4.00, 390 = 4.05. IIRC both use the same block castings. Difference is in the stroke. You can simply swap in a 390 crank with a .050" overbore and have a 390 or go with a 428 crank and rods and go 406. All the performance parts that fit a 390 will fit a 352 as well. As a matter of fact, some of the early 352's had very good cylinder heads.

I believe you are backwards on the 406. 390 bore + 428 stroke = a 410, while 428 bore + 390 stroke = the 406. I've recently been intensely researching as I have a 360, gas guzzling, no a$$, turd in my 69 F250. Unfortunately, except for crappy performance, it runs perfectly with no smoke, no leaks, no ticks and uses less than a quart of oil between changes! It's difficult to justify tearing into it, but at the first puff, tick or drip it will likely become a 390 or 410. Luckily it has one of the better of best Ford service blocks with the thicker cylinder walls and higher nickel content castings. I'm not looking for a race motor in the truck and certainly realize that no matter what I do, fuel mileage can't be improved much with an FE, but have been led to believe that a proper build can give me better performance without hurting the mileage. I just want a good truck motor for regular duty and pulling an occasional single car flat trailer on 100-500-ish mile round trips. Of course, on the other hand, I could turn it into an aluminum headed 406 screamer for my Mustang and just find a nice 300-6 banger for the truck!:p Back in the day they used to refer to the 406 as a "baby" or "poor mans" 427. Here are a couple interesting reads:

http://www.woodyg.com/fairlane/finfo/390intro.html

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_1209_01_how_to_build_a_stroker_390_fe/

Happy Motoring,
Gene

A long time ago, I did this. Make sure the exhaust ports fit the headers or exhaust manifolds you use. Also, I used the existing 390 rocker arms on the 428 heads and the pushrods ended up being the wrong size. Can't remember what combination caused this.
i have built 390s and 428s but will 428 cj heads work on a 390 block? seems like i read some were there may be valve clearance issues, i have a set of cj heads i would like to use them if possible?

I believe you are backwards on the 406. 390 bore + 428 stroke = a 410, while 428 bore + 390 stroke = the 406. I've recently been intensely researching as I have a 360, gas guzzling, no a$$, turd in my 69 F250. Unfortunately, except for crappy performance, it runs perfectly with no smoke, no leaks, no ticks and uses less than a quart of oil between changes! It's difficult to justify tearing into it, but at the first puff, tick or drip it will likely become a 390 or 410. Luckily it has one of the better of best Ford service blocks with the thicker cylinder walls and higher nickel content castings. I'm not looking for a race motor in the truck and certainly realize that no matter what I do, fuel mileage can't be improved much with an FE, but have been led to believe that a proper build can give me better performance without hurting the mileage. I just want a good truck motor for regular duty and pulling an occasional single car flat trailer on 100-500-ish mile round trips. Of course, on the other hand, I could turn it into an aluminum headed 406 screamer for my Mustang and just find a nice 300-6 banger for the truck!:p Back in the day they used to refer to the 406 as a "baby" or "poor mans" 427. Here are a couple interesting reads:

http://www.woodyg.com/fairlane/finfo/390intro.html

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_1209_01_how_to_build_a_stroker_390_fe/

Happy Motoring,
Gene
my uncle had a 64 galaxie,3 duece 406 convertible. when was the last any one saw one of those? he also, at the same time had a duel 4v 406 64 hard top.the convert was going to be my first car. him and my aunt got divorced. just to piss him off she had the two cars crushed. kinda crushed me to. that would have been a sweet ride for a 16 year old.

406s and 410 are impossible to find around here.i would love to find a 410. slap my CJ heads on it , i could go for that .410 crank is the same as a 428 . the bore is the same as a 390. you will usualy find them in Mercury`s.

Not much bore difference. 352 = 4.00, 390 = 4.05. IIRC both use the same block castings. Difference is in the stroke. You can simply swap in a 390 crank with a .050" overbore and have a 390 or go with a 428 crank and rods and go 406. All the performance parts that fit a 390 will fit a 352 as well. As a matter of fact, some of the early 352's had very good cylinder heads.
yeah, i believe it was called a 352 special. it had a solid cam ,cast iron headers and chrome valve covers. i heard they were good motors. i dont know what they came out in .

I believe you are backwards on the 406. 390 bore + 428 stroke = a 410, while 428 bore + 390 stroke = the 406.

You are absolutely correct. Brain fart on my part.

"...you will usualy find them in Mercury`s." Just make sure it's an FE. Mercury had its own 410 MEL.

1960 was the year for the 360 horse 352 w/10.5:1 compression, cast headers and factory aluminum intake. We had a '60 T-Bird but I'm pretty sure the base engine was the 300hp 352 and the optional one - which we had, was the 430MEL. That would pretty much leave just the full-size (Custom, Fairlane, Galaxie).

the 410 is bassicly a 390 block (4.05) bore, with a 428 crank (3.98 )stroke.
a factory stroker i guess. i use to buy them just for the crank shafts ,now you cant find them any more, the last one i found was in a 67 mercury marauder. cash for clunkers killed off a lot of good old cars.:notnice: