429 Stroker kits? Help me find them

jrscobra

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
Southern United States
I am looking for as much information about stroker kits for the 429 engine. My engine is a 72. I bought the engine and want to stroke it to build a monster. I have been told by a reputable machinist, that I can get a 493 stroker kit, or he can build, with chevy rods, a 504.

has anyone ever done this, and if so, what was the outcome. He really wants to do this, and I would love the extra power! I am looking for feedback as to what kits are available, and any past experiences in this area.

This engine is going into the 71 Mach 1 I am building.

Thanks

Jaime

• Sponsors (?)

blown65 said:
www.speedomotive.com is a good one.

I wouldnt spend 2 cents at coast high. The two times Ive called there the guy was a total ass. 100% happy with speedomotive, and thier prices are better than coast high anyways.

I had a VERY bad expereince with Speedomotive and warn all people to try and find their parts elsewhere first. The made me a stroker kit, and THEY faxed the wrong specs to Ross to make pistons...long story short the pistons were made wrong (built for a 76 cc open chamber head instead of my 63cc closed chamber heads), I didn't ask speedo to pay for any of the damamges caused by using pistons that were not made to the specs I requested (running a car that is over 12.5:1 on 93 octane causes some motor ending pinging if you are not careful...I simply asked them (speedomotive) to REPLACE the pistons with the correct ones that should have been made.

They admitted to making the mistake but refused to replace my pistons with a new set since they screwed up with wrong ones. Based on this experience I consider the whole shop tainted and run by jack (explative) and not worth doing business with.....your results may vary.

I just did a 393 stroker, and I did pretty thorough research. Like any other parts vendors, different people have different experiences with the same vendor. So what I have to say will contradict some folks experience.

I use a very well known race engine builder, and I asked him for a recommendation. His comment was to stay away from Eagle cranks, since he had found them to have very bad machine work. In particular, the oil journals were not completely machined, and he had to re-machine brand new cranks on his customers nickle.

Initially, I chose to use the CHP kit. They had a pretty good reputation, and they had a reasonable kit. I ordered it, and they said it would ship within a week. Three weeks later, it still had not shipped, and I started getting the run-around about them waiting on a batch of pistons (their common excuse, I found out). When I called to cancel my order, they salesman claimed that they had all the parts for a crate motor another customer had ordered, and that they could ship my kit with the pistons from the other customers crate motor. That pretty much disgusted me.

I decided to go straight to the source, SCAT. I bought their kit. It arrived 6 days after I ordered it, and everything was correct. They even upgraded me to forged H-beam rods for free, since I wanted the stock length rods. No problem with the install or with it running.

If you search this forum for my posts, you will see a spreadsheet that I posted. It contained a comparision of all the kit vendors I looked at.

rk

That's probably the best way to do it, Planomustang.
I won't use CHP anymore for reasons listed.
In addition, it seems that they don't know the difference in 351 block deck higths between the years. Ordered for a 69 block, and ended up having to cut down the pistons .020 to get .005 in the hole.
Wrong main bearings too, and the Total Seal rings they sent were all over the place during end-gap checking.

Through my shop I can get Scat kits, I have one being built (347) right now.
I had problems with them sending me the wrong rings twice and they wouldnt give me credit for them. Very hard to deal with, but thought my business I was able to buy the kit way cheaper. Not trying to make money here at all so please dont get mad...

Well, I guess I am in the minority. I had CHP do somewhat shy of a shortblock. It was done early and I had no customer service problems before OR after my purchase. I inspected all the work they had done and it was top notch. My motor currently has 15k+ hard miles on it with no problems (no oil consumption, etc). Maybe cuz I'm local and picked it up at their shop (which was very busy every time I went there).

Ordered a Coast 393 kit and had to cnage pistons cuz the bore needed to be .040 isstead of .030. That took a while and it turns out they sent me custom forged pistons for a blower motor by mistake the first time.

When my machine shop finally got to it, they sent the wrong rods for the pins in the pistons, so I have to eat what I spent on balancing.

I think all these shops have similar horror stories.