429 swap?

Silver5.O

Feb 27, 2003
i have the oppertunity to buy a beat up torino real cheap. the body is pretty banged up and rotted, but the engine and everything else is fine. how possible is it to put a 429 in a fox? its got the shaker hood scoop too, this would be sweet in a four-eyed notch. any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

it would the same as putting a 460 in...they make a kit for it....oil pan,headers,mounts:around 800 bucks for that...then you'll need manual steering for the header clearance,possibly manual brakes for valve cover clearance,subframe connectors to stiffen the chassis,tranny crossmember,radiator,elec fan setup,driveshaft,custom exhaust from the headers back,8.8 rear,re-route the fuel lines, stiffer suspension...basically you'll end up with a ton of money in a car that would be hard to resell...i almost done it myself with a 429 until i added up all the figures..cost of car to put motor in,engine,kit,necessary components,maintenance items for swap car,paint,body etc...you'll literally end up with 8-10,000 in a car you may get 1500 out of when you sell it...my advice:take 8-10,000 and buy a late model modular powered car...that's what i'm doing. :nice:

lgil351 said:
it would the same as putting a 460 in...they make a kit for it....oil pan,headers,mounts:around 800 bucks for that...then you'll need manual steering for the header clearance,possibly manual brakes for valve cover clearance,subframe connectors to stiffen the chassis,tranny crossmember,radiator,elec fan setup,driveshaft,custom exhaust from the headers back,8.8 rear,re-route the fuel lines, stiffer suspension...basically you'll end up with a ton of money in a car that would be hard to resell...i almost done it myself with a 429 until i added up all the figures..cost of car to put motor in,engine,kit,necessary components,maintenance items for swap car,paint,body etc...you'll literally end up with 8-10,000 in a car you may get 1500 out of when you sell it...my advice:take 8-10,000 and buy a late model modular powered car...that's what i'm doing. :nice:

:nono: You were helpful until ya got to the last sentance, get outta here = P Most of us aren't afraid of retail... I've got a car that would sell to the average person for 4500 if I was lucky... I've got about 3 times that in the car at the moment.. Shoot man, go for it, 429 with a shaker in a fox, hell ya! Do it lol :nice:

You can pick up the 460 swap stuff on ebay all the time for not too much money.There is a big block forum and classifieds section on the Corral you might want to check out as well.Do a search on the big block forum on the Corral and you will see just about any question has been answered.Shaker hood parts go for good money on ebay as well so you might think about parting out the car on ebay to offset your costs.If it is an original 429 car then it should have a nine inch rear with 31 spline axles and possibly an "N" center, all of which are worth good money.

it does have the 9" rear and the 31 spline axels, its got 4:10s too the guy said. as for all the extra parts i need, i live 3 minutes away from englishtown and the swap meet is in a month so ill see what i can get down there.

Silver5.O said:
i have the oppertunity to buy a beat up torino real cheap. the body is pretty banged up and rotted, but the engine and everything else is fine. how possible is it to put a 429 in a fox? its got the shaker hood scoop too, this would be sweet in a four-eyed notch. any suggestions?

Do a search on the username Kiddot. He has an 84 with a 429 in it. Be aware to put all of that weight on the nose, it tends to have traction issues.
He is also on that bigblock stangs website.

He doesnt post much on here anymore.

You can run power steering and power brakes. Some even run A/C. The power brakes interfer only when you use tall valve covers. But can be fixed by moving the booster over an inch. Plenty of room for the power steering pump. And the only problem with steering is at the u-joint sometimes. But it all depends on what headers, mounts, and k-member you are running. You definitly want to do your research beforehand. I jumped in halfway through and it is cool and all, but I would have been done by now if I had had a better plan.
I definitely advise purchasing the spacer kit you can find on www.bigblockfox.com. Just installed them and they are great. Adds clearence everywhere and you don't have to use the BFH as much.