450-500whp carb 351 build

ahrpr

Sep 20, 2004
I was wondering if you guys could throw up some builds that you know are pushing 450-500 to the wheels?

I am looking to drive this car mostly on the weekends or on nice days, so it is not my daily driver.

I am just looking for some ideas on what I am going to do with my mustang when I finish up the suspension mods.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Stroke it to a good 400+ci, get the best internals you can afford, high compression/high RPM, AFR 205s or better for heads, Victor Jr intake or if it's an all out track car get the Super Victor (or if you wanna go ALL out get a Parker Funnel Web), then get yourself a nice custom cam, and then do the carb right and have the pros build you one specifically for the combo you end up with.

There's an article i've been reading about a Dart block (302) stroked to 370ci that makes 600hp at the crank with pretty much the same combo...so with more cubes you shouldn't have any trouble getting there. I believe the professional built carb is a big key in this because it's all in the tune and if you can't tune a carb at 250hp then you don't have a prayer at 600hp.

you guys are crazy.
for a start your gunna break a stock 351 block before you break the crank. dont waste the money on a high dollar one.
i would use H-beam rods
flat top or dome forged pistons. (if u wanna buy race gas)
a decent set of heads (i used canfield on mine)
and as far as a cam..... .600'' lift ish. 250-260 ish @.050 maybe 108-110 lsa
vic. jr and a 750 carb should be fine
i think you could do this build for 4-5K easy. 358cid.=450-500 easy

Well i gave him MY advice as if i were going to build it myself....i'm not gonna go and spend 1k-2k on a set of nice aluminum heads and throw them on a stock bottom end...the crank MAYBE but that depends on power output...i'm gonna get a forged crank and good rods/pistons because i've seen too many guys send a piston into the heads and ruin it. Plus i like to wind out my engines so it's gotta take 7k RPM on the street or else it won't be worth the build for me. I wouldn't risk 7k RPM on a stock bottom end...i'm sure it's been done but i like to spend money on parts just one time.

So basically he should build an $8k stroker motor in a stock block that will barely be streetable and won't like to run under wide open throttle.

Spend $3k on a complete single 70mm turbo kit, a fuel system, a blow through carb, and a wideband. Make 500-550 to the ground on mild boost with a stock longblock. Tune it correctly and don't let it detonate and you won't break anything, even cast pistons. It'll drive like a stocker until you introduce the beautiful thing we call boost. There's only one replacement for displacement...

I'm a little short of 450 rwhp but at 432rwhp/432rwtq through a 5 speed, it is close and it was CHEAP!

Here is my combo:

393w with cast Crank and stock truck rods (~10.7:1)
Out of the box Victor Jr. Heads for solid roller
Cam Motions .620 solid roller
Victor Jr. Intake
Mighty Demon 750 out of the box
MAC 1 3/4" Long tubes, 3" MAC Prochamber

On 100% 93 octane pump gas with 32 degrees of timing, it made 432 rwhp at 5700rpm and 432rwtq at 4500. It made over 400rwtq at 3500 which is close to where we layed into it. It is instant torque.

I can drive the car anywhere on pump gas and run solid 10s on motor in street trim. I also put a 150 shot on it but have not sprayed it yet (need to get back to the dyno). With the 150 shot on it, that is about max for the truck rods. I would have preferred good rods and a forged crank but I got this motor for a really good price. It will still go easy 9s with good gas in it. A LOT of fun with a 5 speed.

If I ever want more power on the motor, I can always have the heads ported, go with a larger cam and move up to an 850 carb.

For now, it is Cheap and does everything I want it to do.

For comparison purposes, I had a stroker 302 that made 400 RWHP, 380RWTQ and it ran 10.69 on the motor. 450-500 rwhp is a LOT of NA horsepower. The 432/432 motor I have now is my favorite (especially for the money), and I used to have a 977rwhp 1991 coupe with a turbo and a 5 speed :)

I don't see where you guys think you'll spend 8 grand building what i suggested (if that remark was towards me), especially if this is a carbed engine. It'll cost a few hundred to have the block machined and no more than $1500 for a really nice stroker kit. Then about $200 for an intake, $350 for a Holley if you can tune it yourself or a couple hundred more for a custom built piece. The most expensive parts will be the heads and stroker kit but that's no more expensive than any decent stroker is going to be. I don't see how you're ever going to make 500hp without stroking the block or using some kind of power adder.

you guys are crazy.
for a start your gunna break a stock 351 block before you break the crank. dont waste the money on a high dollar one.
i would use H-beam rods
flat top or dome forged pistons. (if u wanna buy race gas)
a decent set of heads (i used canfield on mine)
and as far as a cam..... .600'' lift ish. 250-260 ish @.050 maybe 108-110 lsa
vic. jr and a 750 carb should be fine
i think you could do this build for 4-5K easy. 358cid.=450-500 easy

750 on the carb?:nonono: Way too small! You would make more with a 950.

950 Would be too Big for that Setup, Especially 351 C.I., It would be nice on a 393 or even a 408 Windsor. A Holley 750DP would be Just Right :nice:

Yeah you wouldn't need more than a 750dp even on a 393 either unless it was running with some kind of power adder. The worst thing you can do is run too much carb. Not even will run stronger and faster than too much.

450 to 500hp at the wheels would be 495-550 hp at the bell at a 10% loss through the drive train (usual loss is claimed to be around 15%). A 500-600 hp motor wants alot of fuel. I would use a 750 dp on 350 hp motor. Smaller carboration works good for the street but its chokes the motor at WOT. This is where proper tunning comes into play. Ask yourself why there are so many (fast) 347's on the track running over 850 cfm carbs.